Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I think I'm going to have to go back on effexor!  (Read 189 times)

Offline carly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think I'm going to have to go back on effexor!
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »
Well I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go back on effexor. I have been on cipralex for almost 5 months and I still have alot of breakthrough anxiety.  I've been on 30mg which is higher than the norm and there's no room to go up. I was having some response from the effexor at 187.5 mg and could have gone higher if needed but instead I decided to wean off that and try cipralex because I thought it would make me feel like celexa did before it pooped out. Unfortunately it has not helped like I had hoped. I would feel ok for maybe 15 days out of the month and the other days were filled with anxiety, o, and blues. I am a bit reluctant to start the effexor because I'm worried that it won't work this time, even though it was helping before. I seem to have this intense fear that meds won't work for me anymore after failing Zoloft and cipralex. Please can someone help ease my tired mind? I've gone down to 20mg of cipralex and literally the day after decreasing, my anxiety increased and has been so for 1 week now. I feel very tired unmotivated and off and on anxiousness.  Ugh I just need a kind word or two from someone who can understand. I don't even care about withdrawls anymore. I just want to feel better. Thanks a bunch, Lisa
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I'm going to have to go back on effexor!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »
I am a bit reluctant to start the effexor because I'm worried that it won't work this time, even though it was helping before.

While I'm not convinced Effexor is the best med for you, there is no reason why it wouldn't work at least as well as it did before.

I seem to have this intense fear that meds won't work for me anymore after failing Zoloft and cipralex.

This is just 2 meds out of about 20, each of which works in different ways. If you've responded to any antidepressant in the past then at least one will almost certainly work for you now.

I've gone down to 20mg of cipralex and literally the day after decreasing, my anxiety increased and has been so for 1 week now. I feel very tired unmotivated and off and on anxiousness.

If your doctor hasn't prescribed one of the benzodiazepines then ask him/her to do so now to help you cope as you transition to the new antidepressant. If s/he won't then ask for hydroxyzine, a antihistamine with anti anxiety properties.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline carly

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
Thank you Ian! I could sure use you in my back pocket! You're a wealth of information.  Just please don't grow tired of me!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 03:49:30 PM »
Good job Carly :yes:

Let us know how well you start doing on Effexor...

To echo what Ian said.... There are many more AD meds to try - until you find a one that works for you!

Also, IME of starting new AD meds - have your Dr. prescribe a benzodiazepine to help you transition to Effexor.

I would never jabs been able to try different ADs without a benzodiazepine to offset some the anxiety and stay compliant with using my medications for the 4-12 weeks - to give my medication a fair trial - because it does take a lot of patience.

I think you will do well....

Keep us updated on your progress....

As I recall my experience with Effexor - the first 2 weeks were a little rough - but I focused on how well I would feel soon.  Remember most of these starting side effects will diminish or disappear after the first 2 weeks.

Stay Strong  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Tags: