Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: cant pput weight on my knee.....ALS again?  (Read 188 times)

Offline NickT76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
cant pput weight on my knee.....ALS again?
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:37:18 PM »
Hi guys....going through a really tough time here.  Aboit six weeks ago my knee suddenly gave out on me while ibwas standing in the living room.  Its been happening more and more as of late.  Alot of crunching and popping as well

I saw the PA at the orthopedic doctor and the xray showed some arthritis in the bad knee.  She said i have to do physical therapy for 8 weeks to strengthen my quads and hamstring muscles.

Fast forward to yesterday out of the clear blue sky my knee gave away and i felt the joint stuck and it hurt.  It took a good minute to go back in.  All last night i couldnt even stand without my knee joint jus failing on me

Today ibwalked my dog and then i felt it weakening again when i got back.  Went to the drug store to buy a knee brace.  It does seem to be keeping my knee from buckling but i can feel it almost jigglong around underneath.  I also feel little throbbing sensations under my knee like bigs crawling around.  Myleft calf and ankle also feel really overworked and sore

If i take this brace off i wony be able to walk.  Ill be following up with another orthopedic doctor.

I dont think ive ever felt so scared.  Ive read those stories on the web about how peoples legs gave away on them and thats how it started.  If i just stand up without walking i can feel my lefy knee joint slipping.

What do you guys think?

Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: cant pput weight on my knee.....ALS again?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
and why is this ALS and not arthritis? 

and what do I think?  I think you are allowing your anxious thinking to trick you into jumping to whacky conclusions.  Quit reading stuff on the internet about diseases.  If you opt to do it, then EXPECT to have yourself in a panic all of the time.

You don't have ALS.  You have a bad knee and an anxious mindset adding 2 + 2 and getting 5.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline NickT76

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:28:07 PM »
Thanks man.  I guess the rapid onset is really scaring me.  I never thought i would need a knee brace just to stand upright.

Whenever i hear muscles and weakness it sends me over the top. 

Can a knee get bad this quickly without really doing anything to it?

Guess im afraid im going to wake up and not even be able to stand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:44:54 PM »
you are allowing your fear to overwhelm you.  Fear never a makes good decisions. 

our bodies hurt sometimes.  If you have arthritis, you HAVE arthritis.  that stuff hurts.  If it has gotten worse, see the doc again.  It still isn't als , no matter what your anxious mind tells you. 

my right elbow hurt for 2 or 3 months from no injury.  I couldn't hold stuff with that arm well.  It WAS weaker.     A few weeks ago it cleared up.  Coulda knocked me over with a feather.  The cause was almost certainly nerve impingment issues.  I have disk issues and such in my neck...But I am telling you it hurt like HELL.  I told my husband that it could be time for an MDs help  as I had waited long enough.  then a couple of weeks later, it stopped.  craziest thing ever.

REMEMBER:  you could be a hypochondriac if you continually jump to crazed conclusions.  You are doing this with your knee issue.  There is acutal evidence of arthritis.  don't go looking for the exotic here.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:19:51 PM »
I don't think ALS hurts.  If your knee is injured it makes sense that it would be weaker.  If you had ALS you wouldn't be able to walk with a brace; you simply wouldn't be able to walk.   Or such is my understanding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 05:37:31 PM »
And I hear that this one guy on the internet had toe pain before being diagnosed with (insert disease of choice).  These are not the things docs look for...hence the reason the ortho doc sent you to PT to strengthen your quads.  When you read stories on the internet, people have associated symptoms with a horrific disease process...because they look back and begin to question everything.  They then associate it with said disease process...it's written on the net and people like us read it and freak out.

Nothing about what you said concerns me but I suspect you have patellar femoral syndrome.  Look for horses not zebras.

http://www.hopkinsortho.org/patellofemoralpain.html
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:14:08 AM »
Two weeks ago my wife went to bed with no leg problem - woke up and couldn't put ANY weight on her right knee.  Fast forward to doc appointments, MRI, X-Rays - she sprained it while she was sleeping.  Now she is fine and walking normally.

So the answer is "yes" you can hurt it to the point of not being able to put weight on it without knowing it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: