Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: any experience with propranolol for panic?  (Read 98 times)

Offline LuLu82

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
any experience with propranolol for panic?
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:47:42 AM »
Hi.
Wondering if anyone has experience or success using this for panic, particularly set off by bodily sensations?
Bookmark and Share

Online e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: any experience with propranolol for panic?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:25:29 PM »
I take metoprolol, another beta blocker, and it helps some.  Slows down the heartbeat and reduces blood pressure as the actions of my heart are a trigger for me.  I don't like the fatigue/ tired feeling I get from the med but it is transitory and does pass.  I take only half the dose prescribed(25mg) daily but did double up when I had a severe panic episode for one month and it helped knock out many of the PVCs I was having at the time.  I was able to titrate back down over a couple of weeks.  All in all, it's ok.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: any experience with propranolol for panic?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 05:37:41 PM »
Hi.
Wondering if anyone has experience or success using this for panic, particularly set off by bodily sensations?

The beta blockers don't treat panic per se, they block, or at least reduce the fight-or-flight adrenaline surge that is part of the panic attack. This can be enough for some, others need to control the panic of the mind too. The only way to know whether propranolol is the answer for you is to try it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: