Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone had heart palpitations before?  (Read 164 times)

Offline messysai

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anyone had heart palpitations before?
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:33:51 AM »
I woke up this morning, made a doctors appointment to see my cough, and then felt my heart feel really heavy. I could really feel it pounding. I tried to un-notice it and go back to sleep but it wouldn't go away and made me get up. Went away for a few minutes then came back but came back again and got me scared so I called for an ambulance. They said everything was fine and it could be anxiety related after I told them of my anxiety over my health in the past month or so.

Doctor's said everything is fine and assured me of it. Gave me some antibiotics for the sore throat/cough (which he's done before) and said you can get an x-ray on your chest just to make sure - which sounds scary as hell.

Any methods to get rid of these palpitations? As it's still ongoing. I think I need some sleep too as I only had a couple of hours last night, hopefully that will help but I'll probably struggle to get to sleep at this rate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline messysai

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone had heart palpitations before?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
Someone help - I've had it all day and it's continuing but it's pretty terrifying right now. Is there any way to make them go away???  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
palps are common with anxiety.

methods to get rid of them.   I know this going to sound snarky but it isn't meant to   :winking0008:

1. quit giving them a sinister cause.  in other words don't allow them to scare you.

2. quit paying attention to them.  IE. don't monitor how long it has been since your last one.  don't count how manyyou are having, etc.

3.  Start working on your anxiety disorder.   You can read the links I have on my profile on what I think about the subject.

Peeps want anxiety to just go away.  peeps want the symptoms to just go away.  It would be ever so fantastic if we could manage that with minimal work.  But that just isn't the way it works.  Bottom line: there are no easy methods.  Getting a body/mind calmed down enough so that we don't have a lot of physical symptoms takes a long time of changing bad habits, adopting good habits and throwing in a good deal of stickwithedness even when you want to quit trying. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
I've had them for months! I get moments when my heart skips beats and when I check my pulse my rhythm is off for about ten minutes. It's a weird feeling like fluttering and dizziness. ECG was normal,24 ECG showed them as bigeminy and trigeminy which are just extra beats and benign! Echo was normal but mild mitral regurgitation which I've been told is ok. Months later I still get them even when not anxious and caffeine and alcohol don't help! I have to just tell myself they're benign but doesn't stop them being scary as hell!

They're very very common so take my advice and don't read too much into them as it's a vicious circle!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
Just by what you are saying I would definitely be comfortable saying it's anxiety! I have the same symptom ALL THE TIME. And yeah for me it comes in waves. It might go away for a bit then come back like a freight train. Palps are one of the more common symptoms of anxiety. But I don't want to say "don't worry" cuz I know for me that is next to impossible! But do everything you can not to! Distract yourself, do breathing exercises, whatever helps :)
Bookmark and Share
i understand your anxiety! I've been there and am there right now! Feel free to PM me if you need someone who understands!

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
A big trigger for me.  I have learned over the years that it is very common in people.  It is really a temporary interference  in the timing of the heartbeat and is benign.  Some people, like those suffering from an anxiety disorder may be more sensitized to it and perceive  it as a threat to them.  The beats are amplified as we become more sensitized to them.  Some doctors will use beta blockers and or benzodiazepines to help people if medications are used.  The episodes come and go for me.  Lay off the stimulants like caffeine and chocolate and too much sugar.  Exercise is good too.  If the doctors have checked you out and given you a clean bill of health try to believe them. I know how disturbing it can feel.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Tags: