Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trying to make myself gain weight  (Read 187 times)

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trying to make myself gain weight
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
I am absolutely paranoid I have cancer because no matter how bad I binge eat or how bad the food is I can't gain weight. I've lost a few pounds without changing my diet and it's freaking me out. I don't think it's my anxiety because I'm eating fine and I have an appetite.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trying to make myself gain weight
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:44:24 PM »
It could be a change in hormones.  If you're slightly hyperthyroid, for example, you can lose a little weight without doing so intentionally.  A few pounds is not enough weight loss to signify something catastrophic.  So you don't need to freak out :) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:54:06 PM »
I hope I'm fine, I'm only 20, I wish I didn't have to worry about any of this at such a young age. I got my thyroid checked out a few months ago for routine blood work and it was normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »
This exact thing has happened to me before. I would eat and eat all kinds of junk trying to gain weight and despite eating I kept losing weight. It was all anxiety related. My doctor made me promise to stop weighing myself until my follow up appt the next month. It made a huge difference because my mind wasn't focused on the number. Hope this helps.I'm sure you're fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fordaisy

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »
I can eat all day long and if I am anxious I will lose weight anyway
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bonzlee

• Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:09:17 AM »
The body does strange things when we are stressed out. I wish I was like you guys that I could eat and eat and the body loses weight. When I get very anxious I lose my appetite and I GAIN weight. Doctor said it's the adrenal glands, which control blood sugar, that get all out of whack from anxiety. The can go hyper or hypo and it can effect your weight no matter what you eat.

My husband got really ill in January, and I ate barely at all the month of January and February, and I gained 12 lbs!!! Stupid body!  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 05:43:26 AM »
Could just be your normal metabolism.   As a teen and up until I had my child at age 29 I couldn't gain weight at ALL!!   I'm 5'6" and I weighed about 102 pounds, 98 at one point.  I ate like a pig, always trying to gain and couldn't.  But...  now at age 55 I am 127 pound.  I don't pig out, but I don't deny myself anything nor do I diet... 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
I am going through this currently. You aren't alone. I worked out for a while then stopped and assumed I'd gain weight so I weighed myself a few weeks later and I was down 5lbs! I instantly freaked out and thought something crazy was up. I began to eat more and still lost another 1lb! I thought I had cancer or HIV (two first things on google). I ate and ate and no weight gain. I bought an hiv test and it was negative(although I had no high risk exposures) still thought I could have this and been eating like a hog 3 weeks later still haven't gained but haven't lost. Stress and anxiety can boost metabolism in itself as well as causing worry, pacing, and nervous movements. It takes 3500 excess calories (more than you burn) to gain a pound! For me that's minimum 6500 calories a day to gain a pound. So it's not as easy as we think and the constant weighing and scale trips will drive you nuts. Hang in there. It will stabilize.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: