Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: introduce myself  (Read 103 times)

Offline richm66

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
introduce myself
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi.  I am new to this site, but have come to it many times in the past because of my health anxiety.  I have been suffering for many years, but the last year or two have become really bad.   I am constantly looking for reasurrance that I am ok from family, friends and my doctor.   I am currently waged in a battle with chronic chest pain (sternum area) and upper back pain.    I am extremely nervous about my heart being bad or having a clot.   My doctor has assured me that he is 99.9% sure it is not my heart and that it is my extreme worries that are taking over.   he agrees that i should consider therapy.  I have been on Klonopin daily for many many years and my doctor recently increased my daily dosage of Lexapro.   

I am a 43 year old runner (and have been for 8 years or so) since an executive physical that included a CT Angiogram showed mild plaque in my LAD artery.  I began to take a daily baby aspirin and a statin since then as well to help control the progession of the mild disease that i may have.

Recently, as well, with the chest pain, i have experienced some bad runs (for me).  I generally run 8 miles a day every other day and the last 2 weeks or so I have really struggled to do 6 or 7.

I am extremely scared and nervous that i have an underlying disease that is being missed.   i have had many many many many tests over the years and trips to the ER.  The last being in January 2014 where i had a chest CT with contrast to rule out PE and any other chest related abnormalities.  The test was normal.   

i do believe that i have pain from something.  and I am probably making it worse by focusing on it.  but i cant get it to go away and allow me to "relax".   This all consuming problem really affects my ability to live life more fully.   

I wish my head could understand that I am very likely healthy and i could get past these feelings.Sorry, only registered users can see this content. Please Login or Register.

Bookmark and Share

Offline richm66

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: introduce myself
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »
Hi - The first time I posted is above.   I know that I have not yet received a response.  I did not necessarily ask any questions, but just "introduced myself".  I ma just curious if anyone can relate to my "symptoms" and how they have helped themselves try to work through those issues.   It seems that I am quite not alone with my obsessive and fearful thoughts.  Hope good health to all!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:11 PM »
I don't necessarily have chest pain, but I get palpitations and pvcs, which scare me to death. I have this fixation on my heart at times, but I noticed if I'm worried about something else and forget about it for awhile it goes away (the symptoms). I've had minor pain that only lasts a second that I associated with tension. I'd say if you have had all of the tests and nothing comes back - your doctor is probably right - especially if 99.9% sure. I know I'm preaching to the choir because I had a slight minor t wave issue on an EKG my doc said was nothing to worry about and benign - I still find myself worrying about it. I hope you get some reassurance. Sorry I couldn't be of more help other than I know how you feel when it comes to constantly worrying over something related to your heart.
Bookmark and Share

Online terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:11 PM »
i cannot relate to your symptoms either. but i can tell you that running that far every day, believe it or not, isn't helping the matter either. not saying you're not healthy - just putting it out there that maybe you should try only running 3-4 miles a day. maybe your body is telling you that you're over doing it with the running? not sure. welcome to the forums and chat!
Bookmark and Share

Offline richm66

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
Thanks Terri.  You are not the first person who has mentioned that I might be "over doing it" to my body with the extreme running that I do.  Many have mentioned that this could be causing significant strain on my bones/joints and contributing to the back and chest pain.   Some have suggested biking or swimming, etc.   Running has been my go-to exercise for a while.   Sometimes I use it as a "test" to prove to myself my heart and lungs are healthy.   As my PCP told me, if you can run 7-8 miles, it is not your heart causing your pain.   And he truly believes my obsession is doing me in.

It is tough, I truly believe that I have real pain.   And then I take it to another level thinking it is always something that is going to kill me.   Back and chest pain is just terribly uncomfortable to me to have chronically.   maybe i should heed the advice of taking it easier on my body.   

thanks for your thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline richm66

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:16:36 PM »
Thanks Smitten for your reply.

I know that part of my "therapy" needs to be to "accept the diagnosis".   I have had the tests.  I have spoken to my doctor many times.  No one can give you a 100% for sure answer.  But 99.9% is basically that.   

I need to trust the expertise of the doctors and the exams.   Heck, I give myself my own stress test by running every day!  That should be proof enough.   I think I am hypersensitive to a lot of pains and my obsession exascerbates them.

By the way, I also have suffered from PAC's (premature atrial contractions).   They drove me crazy about this time last year.   I was prescribed a beta blocker (to reduce adrenaline/cortisol - which are know to trigger or make worse the PACs).  The beta blocker worked and I slowly weaned myself off of that medicine.  i still get a few occasionally as well, but have been told a zillion times - everyone gets them.  some feel them; most people dont.   they are totally BENIGN in a structurally normal heart.

good luck with your PVCs.  Hopefully, you have been reassured with the same advice I received.

Cheers to good health!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: