Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dizzy with no answers  (Read 240 times)

Offline Justsmilealready

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dizzy with no answers
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »
I thought my problems had passed and chalked them up to anxiety...but they're back.  :/  This is a very quick version of my story.  It has caused me an insane amount of stress and depression - I'm a single mother of 2 young kids.  I have no family to help me so I don't know what I would do if I got really sick (huuuuuuge fear).

At the beginning of April, I woke up with sudden hearing loss.  Initially there were no other symptoms so they determined it to just be from a virus.  This answer wasn't good for me and I cried every night afraid I would lose total hearing.  After starting steroids (typical protocol for hearing loss), I started feeling dizzy (like I'm looking cross-eyed), shaking hands, and had tingly hands/feet.  The dizziness and tingly feet faded after a couple weeks. I spent the next three months getting hearing tests and tests at the ENT.  Despite the constant ringing, hearing tests show my hearing has returned to normal.  The ENT initially thought I might have Menier's Disease but an ENG test showed my inner ears were functioning normal.  I went to the general doctor and got blood work.  I initially received a phone call telling me I tested positive for lupus (I spent 3 days in bed crying about this).  At the follow-up appt, he said my body showed no inflammation in the further bloodwork so he thinks it was a false positive.  I have a follow-up with the rhumalogist just in case.  After being told my blood work was essentialy normal, my dizziness seemed to fade away.  I went for an MRI and a neurology appt.  MRI was normal and as my symptoms had faded, the neurologist agreed that it seemed to be nerves, probably stemming from my hearing loss, when I became more hyper aware of my body - he could find no other concerns.  A few days after my neurology appt, as I took my dog to the vet for a lump I found concerning, I began feeling dizzy again.  I thought it had gone away, as I was symptom free for 3 weeks!  I've been dizzy for 5 days now.  The only correlation I can find is stress, severe dry eye (when I get dizzy, my eyes always feel insanely dry and I need drops every 30 minutes), and maybe hormone related?  I've been to the eye doctor who says I look fine.  I started Cymbalta about 3 weeks ago, right when my dizziness subsided and I have noticed a great increase in my anxiety.  I'm comforted that all major tests show I'm healthy and the dizziness isn't every day of the month.  However, the shakiness and dizziness is back and I'm bummed.  Could this truly be stress rearing it's ugly head for a couple weeks at a time? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dizzy with no answers
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
Just curious how old you are  -  I had sudden onset of dizziness that will get better for awhile then come back - always seems to be around certain times when I really think about it. I've read a lot about perimenopause/hormone fluctuations that can cause these types of symptoms. There is actually a website with 34 symtpoms that can be associated with this time of life that can last 10 years and start as early as your 30s. Just thought I'd share as I've ready many stories about women who have had test after test with no answers. I've had lots of crazy symptoms these last six months and lots of tests with no answers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Justsmilealready

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »
I'm almost 29. I've been suspecting hormonal problems for awhile due to other various symptoms. Nipple discharge (eww) was unanswered after thyroid and prolactin tests came back normal. I've dealt with back acne for years. Now my periods are irregular. Man, this makes me sound hot!! Lol. I guess it's worth checking out...I'm just so tired of the doctor visits!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »
Tests for perimenopause are unreliable b/c of the constantly fluctuating hormones. Irregular periods are definitely a sign, but my doc said that is caused by low progesterone which can happen at any age (was happening to me when my dizziness first started). I'd say if it comes and goes it's a possibility. You could ask for a blood test but may not show anything yet. Mine didn't - but I'm definitely going through it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Justsmilealready

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 09:17:05 PM »
Did he have any suggestions on how to relieve it? Or improve your progesterone level?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »
Unfortunately, he just gave me progesterone to take for 10 days. I didn't take it. I don't think I want to take hormones.
Bookmark and Share

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:09 PM »
Did any doctor mention Migraine Associated Vertigo? You can have episodic hearing loss with this, and often times, women your age with hormone problems have a higher risk of developing this syndrome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:52 AM »
I've been dizzy on a regular basis my whole life.  My father has Menier's Disease and I've never bothered having mine checked.

What I've found is even the tiniest stuffed nose will cause my left ear to cause dizziness to extreme vertigo. There are crystals in our ear canals and they can fall into an area where they don't usually belong and that causes dizziness. The Mayo Clinic has some exercises online that you can do to move the crystals back into place.  I know my mother used to do the exercises regularly and I've done it once or twice but usually just hang on to something til it passes and NEVER sleep on my left side!

Did you know anxiety meds can dry you out and cause dizziness?  They also cause dry eye, coated tongue, etc.

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo  Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a balance problem that makes you feel like you're spinning or tilting if you move your head a certain way. It happens when infection or inflammation keeps tiny stones in your inner ear from moving the way they should.
A vertigo attack usually lasts less than a minute.

http://ent.about.com/od/enttreatments/a/epleymaneuver.htm

You can click on the arrow next to the photos to see how this is done.  http://physicaltherapy.about.com/od/exercises/ss/Brandt-Daroff-Exercises-For-Bppv.htm
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• Rec's: 1
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
i am so glad i found your post. your story is word for word mine.

three years ago, i woke up and had constant ringing in my ears along with hearing loss. when i would answer my phone and put it up to the ear that had the ringing in the ear [tinnitus] the person on the other end of the phone would sound as though they had sucked a bunch of helium. because of my fear of doctors, i never went to see one. i DID, however, had a bad earache a couple of days before this happened. since then, i have had dizzy spells that came out of nowhere last year during my husband's first deployment.

i wish i had answers for you, but i do not. all i know is that this happened to me as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Justsmilealready

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 08:48:27 PM »
I don't have true vertigo, which rules out a lot. It's just a dizzy feeling, like I'm looking cross-eyed. Hearing loss doesn't accompany - sometimes a headache but not always. It's something behind my eyes. And it's in hour long spells all day lasting for weeks at a time.
Bookmark and Share