Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Depression due to panic disorder/agoraphobia  (Read 345 times)

Offline LuLu82

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Depression due to panic disorder/agoraphobia
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:07:49 PM »
Is anyone in this situation or relate?
I have become very depressed and the typical stuff people use to be helpful don't work in my case.  "take a walk" for example"  I have some agoraphobic stuff and do not like going for walks at the moment..
I am going to try swimming as certain activities are ok for me.
But I would really love to start working again to occupy my mind, I just cannot commit to commuting at the moment.
Things like going to outdoor events around city are also out, it's just so depressing, who would not get depressed?
I am going to start a group CBT thing soon and hopefully an individual one after that and I really hope that helps, I want a life back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Depression due to panic disorder/agoraphobia
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »
What I always say can happen is that we get the anxiety disorder to begin with. Because that stops us from doing things that we would like to do, we can become down over it. Depressed if you wish to use that word. I think if the anxiety side of things lifted, so would your depression. One you start to do things again. I know it can be hard. Just try and dig as deep as you can. The effort will be well worth it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline LuLu82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:08:48 PM »
Thanks Cuchculan.
The problem is this is not going to lift as I cannot get the courage to do exposure stuff....I keep avoiding
I will do some exposure, but whenever the panic starts I always run away.
I wonder if it is really so easy as feeling the panic, waiting for it to subside & repeat that will cure me.
The thing is I really feel i will faint and collapse  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline AdrienK

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:07:42 PM »
I've been in, and still am in, the same boat. (I have panic disorder and agoraphobia as well.)

I know you say you're afraid of exposure therapy... and honestly, who wouldn't be? But I found over time you'll do something you never thought you could do. I mean, it might take months to years, but eventually you'll look back and go "Wow, I couldn't even step foot outside and now look at me, I'm eating at a restaurant!" and that is exposure, but while you're doing it, it won't feel like it?

Take for example today - There is a very big festival near my house, and that includes a few things I'm terrified of: Going outside, going outside and away from my home (my safe place) and a massive crowd. I ended up going and having a fairly good time! Three years ago I couldn't even step foot on my porch without being terrified.

Baby steps! I, of course, didn't just wake up one day and go from being afraid to stepping outside to going to this festival. I did little things. I had a "safe person" stand outside with me, then I stood outside myself. I walked to the edge of my sidewalk, I walked a little further, and eventually I walked a full block all alone! I still can't go out to places far away from my home without a safe person, but like I said, baby steps!

I still get depressed because you're right, who wouldn't be depressed over having agoraphobia and(or) panic disorder? It's a lot to deal with and at times it gets to the point where you're like "I can't do the things I'd like to do, what's the point?" or "I can do some of these things, but it's so hard! It's horrible that I have to prepare myself to go outside."

One of the best things I've heard about anxiety is:
Anxiety is your overestimation of the situation, and your underestimation of your ability to cope.

It's true what they say - Anxiety will go down, whether you leave the situation or stay in it. The only difference is that if you leave, you'll assume that it went down because you left and not because that's what anxiety does.

Also, thinking logically helps big time. If you're anxious about something, question why.
For example, I'm afraid of going outside in case I have a panic attack.
-> What's so bad about having a panic attack?
It's scary.
-> What's so bad about that?
It brings up scary thoughts - I'm worried I'll go insane.
-> Have you had a panic attack before?
Yes.
-> Many times?
Yes.
-> Have you ever gone insane?
No.
-> Have you done anything horrible while having a panic attack?
I cry.
-> People tend to do that, especially when they're scared.

With yours, you'd probably replace the going insane bit with fainting. Have you fainted during a panic attack before? Or an anxious moment? If you did, what happened? Was it as bad as you thought, and if it was, or even if it wasn't, did you live through it?

...You see? If you break it down and just keep breaking it down, it sheds a different light on situations, and tends to disprove a lot of worries.

Working out is a lovely idea. Also, perhaps finding a creative hobby (assuming you don't already have one) would be helpful. You could knit, or paint, or make clay sculptures... Anything really! Just something you could do when you're feeling low and just blah about the whole situation. Who knows, maybe you could even open a little shop on one of those craft websites where people sell the things they make :)

Good luck with CBT! I went to a group designed for panic disorder and agoraphobia and it helped big time! Just keep moving forward.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LuLu82

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 11:31:22 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  Congrats on going to the festival, that is huge!  Actually this past weekend I wanted to go to music festival, was that what you went to by any chance? I see you are in Canada too.
The fainting issue is strange because I do ask myself if I have ever fainted, the answer is no.  But then I always chime in with the fact that I have never stayed in a situation long enough to faint, I always run away so I really don't even know if I would faint or not , I think any therapist will hate doing CBT with me lol.
The CBT group did not work out unfortunately.
I need to  start working, going out with friends again so I can occupy and distract my mind I think this will be best way. Getting there is another issue entirely :traurig001:  I haven't started swimming yet hopefully that helps.  I will look into a hobbies people have for ideas... thanks for listening and replying.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: