Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Sertraline... Worried  (Read 138 times)

Online wheelie19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Sertraline... Worried
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:54:58 PM »
So up until today I was on 50mg of Sertraline but anxiety increased so doctor increased my dose from 50mg to 75mg. I couldn't remember if I took it yesterday but if I did it would've been in the afternoon and then this morning I took my 75mg and now I'm worried I've given myself serotonin syndrome because I read somewhere that the half life of sertraline is 26 hours so I would still have over 25mg for yesterday plus today's. Dose in my system. Can someone help? I called pharmacy and the pharmacist said it was fine
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Sertraline... Worried
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 05:49:24 PM »
I couldn't remember if I took it yesterday but if I did it would've been in the afternoon and then this morning I took my 75mg and now I'm worried I've given myself serotonin syndrome

You wouldn't develop serotonin syndrome if you took many times the absolute maximum recommended dose of 300mg. The main reason doctors prefer to prescribe SSRIs is that it is very, very difficult for patients to harm themselves with them which is not always the case with the older antidepressants. Plus, serotonin syndrome is much rarer than Dr Google would have us believe. The worst that could happen from accidentally doubling the dose increase is a spike in side-effects, particularly heightened anxiety. Unpleasant, but not life threatening.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
Hi Wheelie...

Serotonin syndrome is actually an extremely rare disorder, so rare in fact that most doctors will never see a case in their lifetime of practice.

Also, when this syndrome is seen, it is most often because an individual is placed on not just one, but several different anti-depressants that effect serotonin levels.  Serotonin syndrome also has a rapid onset, so you would not have written this post if this was occurring to you.

And then there is the fact that you are on an extremely low dose of Zoloft (Sertraline).  50 mg is considered the lowest therapeutic dose of Zoloft.  And most people with anxiety disorders end-up taking 100-150 mg daily, to get good results.  I even have a friend of mine who is on 200 mg.

It is good that you called your pharmacist, as they are the experts in this area.

I too think you have nothing to worry about with the dosage of Zoloft that you mentioned.

The very best to you, Wheelie!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Online wheelie19

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:02:32 AM »
Thank you both, very much.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: