Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Obessed with thyroid  (Read 114 times)

Offline desperatelyseekingcalm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Obessed with thyroid
« on: August 30, 2014, 01:48:25 PM »
I can't get over this throat issue. Now I constantly look at my throat in the mirror- watching myself swallow, feeling to see if I think my thyroid is moving correctly, checking for bumps lumps or anything that would make me or a Dr realize there really is something wrong.
I can't deal with this anymore. I have had my doctors feel my throat - and reply - I think what you are feeling is normally. YOU THINK? I need a yes or a no.
I was woken by extreme left ovary pain lower pelvic pain and ended up at the gyno. He even felt my throat during my exam asked me to swallow and I couldn't! UGH
This has to stop I have two choices diagnose me with something or help my cure this anxiety. This is terrible that anyone should have to live or go through this.
Im having trouble swallowing this morning, throat is very dry feeling, I am thinking throat cancer...some times I even think that my own voice sounds funny. I haven't scheduled the ultrasound yet because I am scared.
I try to just fight through this every day and say it is anxiety but my mind tells me that if it were all just anxiety that the symptoms would go away...BUT this throat issues has been months on end. I wish as a prior poster commented I could just sleep all the time because feeling like this is for the birds. OH and the best part the gyno said not to take the Xanax that was previously prescribed by a NP. Please someone help me or just talk to me...explain to me why my symptoms of the throat swelling never go away.

Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Obessed with thyroid
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:31:01 PM »
The symptoms of the throat swelling never go away because your anxiety is not going away.  Feeling like you have a lump in your throat, feeling like you cannot swallow...all from anxiety.  I know because I experience the exact same symptoms when my anxiety is raging.

I just went to the doctor.  She felt my thyroid, said it felt "asymmetrical" and ordered an ultrasound telling me not to worry because thyroid cancer is "the cancer to get." :angry:  I was not happy at all and my HA took over.  It suddenly felt like there was a boulder in my throat!

I had the US and guess what? Completely normal!  Not even a nodule...nothing.  I do have Hasimoto's but there was nothing amiss on the scan.  Once I got the results,  my swallowing got better and the boulder disappeared.

You need to get your anxiety under control. The physical symptoms are real, but they're from anxiety, not an underlying illness.

Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline desperatelyseekingcalm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:34:41 PM »
Thank you for the comments and reply. I am doing my best to control this anxiety....I do not know what it is coming from. Does Xanax make the symptoms go away? Or just make it so you do not care....My gyno said not to take them and quoted home many women are addicted to all these pills and pain pills. Well some ppl need them and that's that. Im scared of meds though so I do not even know what to do with myself.
This anxiety issue throat issue and constant health issues/fears is ruining my life.

Thank you again for listening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 07:44:46 PM »
I agreed that anti-anxiety meds are really needed by many people.  I usually take Ativan if I am going to be in a situation that I know will trigger my anxiety, i,e. dental visits (although I just found a great dentist who has helped me immensely with this fear), mammograms, xrays, etc.

If your gyn said not to take them, can you see a different doctor, perhaps a psychiatrist, who might have a different opinion?   My prescription is through my regular family doctor because seeing a psychiatrist is very expensive and most don't take health insurance. 
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Tags: