Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: zoloft weight loss  (Read 195 times)

Offline itsryan1123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
zoloft weight loss
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »
Has anyone had insane weight loss while starting up zoloft? I've mentioned before that I'm on my 4th week, and in that time I've lost 17 pounds. (177 down to 160). My doctor was a little surprised but said that because I said that I felt like my appetite hadn't really changed, it might just be because of the drug, or because of my IBS(diagnosed a year ago). I also used to frequently go to the gym and lift, but I don't as much now so maybe it could be muscle weight?

So has anyone had any weight loss while starting this drug?
Bookmark and Share

Offline kittykat22

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • trying to stay positive
    • Poke This Member
Re: zoloft weight loss
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:13 PM »
Hi there,
Before I started Zoloft I was 95 lbs, I took it for just a WEEK, and I lost 7 lbs, I am now down to 88, which is really concerning. I am no longer taking it not just because of the weight loss, but because of the intrusive thoughts, my doctor told me to stop. Are you eating as normal?
Bookmark and Share
we all carry these things inside that no one else can see, they hold us down like anchors, they drown us out at sea.

Offline itsryan1123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:36:32 PM »
I had thought that I was eating normally, but I'm sure its quite possible that I'm not eating as much as I used to. But 17 pounds in a month seems super drastic
Bookmark and Share

Offline kittykat22

• Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • trying to stay positive
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »
Yeah, that is pretty drastic. Like I said I lost 7 lbs in less than a week it was pretty scary,  Now that I am off the zoloft I have gained back 2 lbs in the past week. Are you having any other side effects? Normally around the 4th or 5th week they start to go away.
Bookmark and Share
we all carry these things inside that no one else can see, they hold us down like anchors, they drown us out at sea.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:35:19 AM »
Has anyone had insane weight loss while starting up zoloft? I've mentioned before that I'm on my 4th week, and in that time I've lost 17 pounds. (177 down to 160).

Yes, it does sometimes happen, however, the more common reaction is for people to gain weight. The brain isn't the only organ which uses serotonin. In fact it is only a minor player making and using a little less than 2% of the total amount in the body. The biggest maker/user by far is the gut at around 95%. Or rather its nervous system is. So serotonergic antidepressants can have a huge impact on the gut and all the things it does. But it usually adjusts to the meds effects after a few weeks and things return to normal. You will likely soon regain all the weight you've lost and maybe stack on an extra pound or two.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline nervouspurvus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »
I'm just wondering if early on you might lose weight because of the increase in anxiety that Zoloft can bring. Once your anxiety comes down you'll stop losing weight.
Bookmark and Share