Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: when starting a ssri can you become manic?  (Read 157 times)

Offline MR PA

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
when starting a ssri can you become manic?
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:21:11 PM »
i dont know whats going on,everyday since starting celexa,i sometimes feel depressed and sometimes lots of anxiety and sometimes feel really happy sometimes i think of *****.

my brother takes effexor and says till i get use to a ssri you cant have all kinds of emotions and symptoms

anyone else get this while starting antidepressants?
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: when starting a ssri can you become manic?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
I can't take SSRIs because they make me manic, however, your description of what you're feeling suggests you are just cycling through a range of emotions which could be an initial reaction to the med, but is probably mostly psychological. If in doubt talk to your doctor about what you're experiencing.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:10:49 PM »
Ian, you're bipolar? Sorry if I'm getting too personal, but I just want to help this poster because I don't give enough advice. Yes, they can and it can be profoundly dangerous to the individual. If the person is bipolar, it might not be the answer or it might be but with other medicines to keep the mania away.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:28:14 AM »
Ian, you're bipolar?

Nope. Apart from some short-lived rebound depression when I've discontinued antidepressants for various reasons, depression in any form has never been an issue for me. But there is something about SSRIs, and Effexor which is mostly one anyway in all but name, that sends my brain into warp speed. TCAs and MAOIs don't have that effect, not even Anafranil (clomipramine) which is a much more potent serotonin reuptake inhibitor than all but one SSRI. Go figure.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:41:45 PM »
Zoloft worsened my anxiety, but it also often gave me giddiness...not full hypomania but very close.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: