Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Increasing my Zoloft dosage  (Read 121 times)

Offline jeremyschaffner

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Increasing my Zoloft dosage
« on: August 29, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
I've had GAD ever since I was a teenager (I am now 31).  I was on Paxil for 8 years, which helped but over those 8 years I gained 20 pounds with no significant changes to my diet. 

I've been on Zoloft 50 mg for about a year and after awhile it started helping.  I've recently been under a lot of stress from an ill family member, I got engaged, looking for a house, work issues etc.   Last friday I had a bit of a panic attack which sent my heart into a flurry of PVCs and I had other anxiety symptoms.  I went to the hospital and was released that night with all the tests coming back okay.  Since then (it's been about a week) I don't want to get out of bed, I want to lay down to go to sleep much earlier at night, I feel like I don't enjoy or have any interest in the things I used to have interest in, I've almost completely lost my appetite, feel a sense of hopelessness and have been having bad morning anxiety.  I've had all the tests and my cardio is retesting me in a couple weeks but so far everything has come back normal -- no structural heart issues or heart disease.

A week ago my doctor increased my Zoloft to 100 mg.  I also take Toprol for my blood pressure and it's supposed to have a calming effect to help with the PVCs.   I know that SSRI's take some time to build in your system.  I guess I just want reassurance that I eventually will come out of this and feel like my old self again.  My doctor also gave me a perscription for Klonopin .5 mg two times a day as needed.  I've taken it twice, once before bed and once in the morning and noticed a slight improvement.  Is klonopin something you have to also take for a period of time to get the full effect?  Thanks for listening.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increasing my Zoloft dosage
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »
My anxiety was so severe last winter, and I was having depression too, I never thought I'd feel "normal" again. My work situation was so stressful that I'd get flashes of fear and feel "frozen" just trying to lay out my work clothes the night before. Daily free floating anxiety, the whole bit.

I'm fortunate to say I feel "normal" again, so yes, you can certainly go through severe anxiety and feel like a normal person again. I won't say I'm symptom free. Recent fatigue and some financial stressors have given me some anxiety, but it's not all day, it's not even every day. I don't have the "disordered thinking" that I did this winter.

So yes, there is hope :) Just realize that it is frequently a slow process. My improvements can in bits and increments, not in leaps, even after starting a new job that was much better for my mental health. It takes time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jeremyschaffner

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Increasing my Zoloft dosage
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:29:44 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply AncientMelody.   Sometimes all we're looking for is a little hope when all seems hopeless.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: zoloft GAD panic PVC