Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can You Blow Too Hard on a Spirometry and get false Negative  (Read 163 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
Can You Blow Too Hard on a Spirometry and get false Negative
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »
Lately I have been noticing a blue or dark colored lip line on the edge of my lips when I exercise or take a shower.
With that said, let me tell you my Spirometry story:
17 years ago I fail the test in a doctors office. This was before I had health anxiety so I didnt really think much of it. He said it was low range of normal.
About 8 years ago my doc does the Spirometry and this time I read the results "Severe pulmonary obstruction" I freak out.
I demand a retest. Next day I do it again and it says "Mild pulmonary restriction"
Im still going crazy and cant sleep thinking I must have COPD since I was a smoker. Im very friendly with all the nurses in the office so I go back when the doc is not there and ask the nurse to let me try again. This time I blow my brains out. I mean I force every drop of air out of my lungs as if its going to collapse. It reads normal. The doc latter tells me the test is very "user dependent" and if the person doesn't try hard enough it will fail. So that was 8 years ago. Since then I have had a normal reading on every spirometry, BUT the thing is, I am not blowing normally. I am blowing into that thing like my life depended on it. I literally squeeze every drop of air out of my lungs. I have seen youtube videos of people doing the test and no-one slows that hard. So I am wondering if my normal readings could possibly be skewed by my over-exertion?

The reason I am thinking about this is because I am obsessed with my lip color. I look at my teenage daughter with those bright pink lips and mine are not that color. Maybe its because i'm 50 years old and not 13. But then last week I had a pulse oxymeter finger test and it said my saturation was 91. the doctor was like "I'm not concerned"

Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can You Blow Too Hard on a Spirometry and get false Negative
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:39:48 AM »
That's the test where you blow into the thing and it measures air flow, right?  I had one of those a million years ago when I saw an allergist and I blew what I thought was all the air out of my lungs, but the nurse giving the test kept telling me to keep going and by the time I was done I felt like my lungs had gone inside out.  So I assume that's how you're supposed to do it, not just blow normally.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »
That's the test where you blow into the thing and it measures air flow, right?  I had one of those a million years ago when I saw an allergist and I blew what I thought was all the air out of my lungs, but the nurse giving the test kept telling me to keep going and by the time I was done I felt like my lungs had gone inside out.  So I assume that's how you're supposed to do it, not just blow normally.

Exactly! Your supposed to blow for 6 seconds as and and fast as you can. 6 seconds is a LONG time IMO. Thats how I felt, like my lungs were going to come out of my mouth.
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:06 AM »
For you to have been physically able to blow that hard is a good thing with the spirometry
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
I just had one yesterday, and let me tell you I thought I was going to collapse a lung! They told me to keep blowing and blowing even when my lings were out of air.by the end I had to take my tounhe and kinda push out of my mouth . The test results showed I have a mild obstruction and I'm kinda feaking out about that considering I gelt I kind cheated with the tounge thing and once I kinda ooened the corner of my mouth and it let air in so I'm thinking it could be even worse than just a mild obstruction.
Bookmark and Share
There is nothing we can do with suffering
except suffer it. "C.S Lewis"

Tags: COPD Spirometry