Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Stuffy nose, feeling of suffocation! Please help!!  (Read 169 times)

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Stuffy nose, feeling of suffocation! Please help!!
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:56 PM »
I came down with a bad head cold. Actually my whole family has it. My nose just became extremely stuffy. Like I can't blow anything out and it feels like I have lots of cotton shoved up both nostrils. I'm panicking. I feel like I'm suffocating. I don't know what to do. Im trying to breath through my mouth but it feels weird and unnatural and like I'm gasping. Is there a medication that would make my nose run so I don't feel this way? Or nose spray? I don't have saline but I'm thinking about going to get some. I don't want this suffocation feeling to cause I panic attack.
I already had an episode earlier today where I felt short if air and like I had to take 4 deep breaths and on the fourth breath I finally felt like I filled my lungs enough. I'm scared. Really really scared! 
HELP ME!!! Should I go to the ER??
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Stuffy nose, feeling of suffocation! Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
Try a Neti pot.  I use them all the time for bad allergies, colds, sinus problems and I get quick relief.  I use distilled water or you could boil the water - just let it cool first before you use it!!  I also clean my neti pot with alcohol after each use.  I have never had a problem and it works for me.  Stay calm...you just have a bad cold.  It will pass in a few days.
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »
Hi Lindsay,

I know shortness of breath and not being able to breathe really really scares you but I know you're okay. It's just the head cold that's causing all of these symptoms and head colds truly are the worst! I understand exactly what you mean by the "suffocation" feeling and it is almost like having cotton balls shoved up your nostrils. There are a lot of good nasal sprays that do help and I also find that Vicks Vapo Rub also helps me to breathe easier when I have a head cold. Try taking some Advil or Tylenol Cold & Sinus also. That should do the trick for you. If all else false, steam always always works (taking a hot shower or putting a hot washcloth over your face and breathing in the steam.

You definitely don't need to go to the ER, you're going to be fine  :yes:

I'm here if you need anything, try some breathing exercises and do your best to stay calm.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »
Thanks friends :) I found VICKS and oh my gosh I feel like it saved me. I am breathing better now!!! Seriously for a second I thought I was truly suffocating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
anxiety only adds to sinus problems
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
Thanks friends :) I found VICKS and oh my gosh I feel like it saved me. I am breathing better now!!! Seriously for a second I thought I was truly suffocating.

Lindsay I'm so glad the Vicks helped you out!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Tags: