Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: seriously worried about ALS  (Read 166 times)

Offline blazeoflight

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
seriously worried about ALS
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:12:14 PM »
hey everyone. this is my first post. I am a 21 year old male and I'm dealing with panic attacks all this week over this.
when I was about 17, I went through a period where I convinced myself that I had ALS. I had twitching and I was tired all the time and I perceived myself to be walking strangely. after a while, the worry just sort of went away. over the next few years, I would worry on and off about other diseases, mostly HIV and I would make myself sick over it.

now the ALS worrying is back with all this ice bucket challenge talk. I keep replaying the last while in my mind and I always think, wow my hand gets tired when I write, and my hands are clumsy when I give people change at work... recently since I've been worrying about ALS, my hands have felt extremely odd, not weak per say, but like they're tense and slow to move, my fingers on my right hand feel like they aren't moving properly and my arms feel weak. I'm driving myself insane with worry. I went to the doctor today for a referral to a psychotherapist and that could take a week or more to hear back from. I need some reassurance. help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: seriously worried about ALS
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:32 PM »
I know nothing I say will convince you that you don't have ALS. All it will do is give you some reassurance, but in the end that will make things worse. It's good you are going to therapist to get some help!

Anyway, you said it yourself, "now the ALS worrying is back with all this ice bucket challenge talk". The ice bucket challenge is bringing back the worry, and with the worry come those sensations. I have worried about ALS before, as well. Just remember that it is very rare, it's even more rare in someone as young as you, and the symptoms are severe. It wouldn't be perceived weakness or clumsiness. You would KNOW something was wrong.

Don't worry!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 24
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »
You have a .002% chance of getting ALS in your lifetime. Nuff said...

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline blazeoflight

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
thanks guys for the reply, even writing these worries out on here has calmed me down a bit. knowing that I'm not alone in having anxiety like this is also helpful.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: