Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: For those that are cured or close to cured  (Read 285 times)

Offline eileendunhen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
For those that are cured or close to cured
« on: August 28, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
I've been doing a lot better the last days almost a week. I know that anxiety isn't dangerous I know I'm a healthy person, I accept the dizziness off balance I'm even now beginning to accept the trapped gas in chest isn't a heart problem( tons of test lol) anyway I actually think sometime that I feel calm and nothing is making me afraid and that makes me afraid if that makes any sense lol. I get afraid when I'm not feeling afraid. Can anyone relate and give some tips. Thank you guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline jjZauis

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: For those that are cured or close to cured
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:29:50 PM »
I'm not as afraid anymore of the constant dizziness/off balance. I'm just frustrated.  I feel like it takes the enjoyment out of things for me.  What have you been doing differently lately?  Are you taking any medication?  I had a string of a few good weeks but for some reason this week I feel like I'm worse than I've been in awhile.   I wish I had tips!  I just want to know yours lol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 11:31:24 PM »
I suffered from 6 months of GAD this year.  Klonopin helped me a lot and ACT therapy and chanting.

I have now had 2 months of feeling perfectly normal and happy.  I've never had any physical symptoms.
I will continue to take Klonopin for the rest of my life if I can.  I continue to do yoga, chanting, and practicing
what I've learned from ACT therapy.  I will continue to check in with the pdoc till he or I think it's no longer necessary.

There was only one day at work I noticed feeling vulnerable and a bit nervous.  I took .5 of klonopin and felt normal
within minutes.  I'm lucky I think.  I also lead a support group via Meetup in Chicago for GAD folks to share what
I've learned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline raindrops300

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
While not cured, I have a functional life now which was not always the case.    It took several years to adjust medications and get it right.  Klonopin is my lifesaver. 
I do know that anytime I have tried to come off of it (my decision, not doctors) the symptoms come back.   So I'm likely as 'cured' as I ever will be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:13:02 AM »
Personally, I do not believe there is ever a "cure" for anxiety, it will always be with us. But rather, it comes down to how much in your life is stresses you out at any given time.

All that will "cure" is that stress being cut down significantly.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, because it's not a challge to "beat it", it is a matter of reducing it.

The best you can do in the meantime is recognize your triggers, take up hobbies, make friends, be with loved ones etc...

Medication helps cut down symptoms to a degree too.
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:37:14 AM »
My anxiety manifested as physical pain and led to a long time of near incapacity and visions of taking my life.

A couple of things helped.

1. Teaching and writings of Abraham Low MD
http://youtu.be/oSdSCvJwOzU

2. Another anxiety forum

3. A friend with whom I could identify, as she had similar but different symptoms.

The pain is gone, because I had to overcome the fear of it. I developed Kynsiphobia (fear of movment). I anticipated every move to be painful, and it was.   No meds worked to tamp down the pain but benzos, which I never had a sufficent  supply of, until the latter states of my anxiety problem, thanks to the bad reputation placed on them by the uniformed. 

Allopathic doctors were useless.  They kept searching for a physical cause to the pain, and sent me for tests and diangosed me with too many things to go into here, but the one "back problem" they dx'd caused an even further downward spiral, and some doctors would not even see me because of it. 

The therapy community were useless, too.  Psychiatrists are pill despensers for the most part, and the therapists that you get sloughed off on are clock watchers and have no or little understanding of the physical symptoms of anxiety.   For a third of sufferers, maybe, an anti-depressant of some type helps, but if it does not, then you are essentially out of luck.  This is especially bad when anxiety brings you myofascial pain or Fibromyalgia.

Most forums and sites were useless, too.  After awhile, how many times could I read that my back and side and abdomen could be twisted and torqued due to tight muscles.  Okay, I believed, but what to do?  Here is where most forums and sites fall down.  Plenty of symptom info, not enough on how to get healthy.

I lost family who didn't care to understand, friends, income from work, spontinatiy due to fear of movement due to pain.  It was only though the grace of God that I did not lose my life at my own hand.

Society in the 21 Century is ill equipped to deal with people with nervous issues or anxiety.  This is especially true if you are male, unfortunately.  If you are male and living alone you are in an even bigger hardship. Try to change that.   I don't know how many times I was told to "snap out of it", and it is true; it was what I had to do, but how?  And, it's not so easy to ignore or snap out of pain that has inprinted itself in your brain and central nervous system and which made even the slightest movements torture, sitting, standing, walking, laying down.

Dr. Abraham Low, a nueropsychiatrist,  taught me what is now called CBT or even ACT Threapy.  Lots of stuff has been written since he practiced in the 1930's and 1940's, but human nature has not changed.  Most guides to anxiety today pamper the patient (I hate to say that, but it was my finding and opinon), and/or have them keep endless records, read charts,  write journals, try to measure their "feelings" and just bogg the per person down with mental exercises that keep them from overcoming the main problem of anxiety, which is fear. Dr. Low does not allow for pampering, because life does not pamper, and he does not allow for you to endlessly ruminate about yourself.  You had to be "self-led" and not "symptom-led", or you would fail. 

Find help if you can, good help.  If you can't go to the simplist source that gets right to the point, and you will know that source when it tells you that fear is the problem, and tha tno matter what happened in your past, fear still is the probelm.  You may be helpless but not hopleless.  Fear can be you jailor, if you let it.  Many do, not because they want to, but because they are never shown the path out.

Didn't mean to be so long-winded.  I have bounced back here to AZ --because this was where I first landed,  in trouble, under a different but similar name--to lend support where and when I think I can, but now it is time to move on completly.   

Best of health to everybody!  Mental health is not a game.  It is your business, your life's business.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »
First, I want to say that the concept of "cure" is likely to mislead. We have a condition, a proclivity, perhaps sensitivities that are best accepted (ACT) and dealt with in ways that suit us individually best. Doing away with myself has never been far away, but know I'd never do that to those left behind.

The idea that fear is at the root makes good sense. Fear was an integral part of my childhood. Also, good brains of the past are as relevant now as then. I go back to Freud for his contribution of the Id, Ego, Superego and the subconscious. Even Dostoyevsky recognized the great significance of childhood. Learning about ourself and others has really been a great adventure. An ongoing adventure.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
(Awesome post NeverAgain2 - thank you for sharing .... Praying you continue on your healing path!)
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Tags: