Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared about lymph node  (Read 149 times)

Offline servo75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared about lymph node
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:49:11 PM »
I went to the dr. yesterday with a sore throat. Of course the main reason is I thought I felt a slightly swwollenlymph node. Strep test negative, and said that CBC blood work was normal.  no other symptoms but she found that one of my lymph nodes on one side was slightly larger than the equivalent on the other side.  The doctor did not seem alarmed, but prescribed antibiotics.

* I asked during appointment if lymph node was concerning and was pretty much told no.  Take antibiotics and come back in a week.

Of course given my nature I panicked a bit and emailed the doctor when I got home and asked if we can rule out malignancy.  Response was that it was probably an acute process, take antibiotics, come back in a week and if it's not down, we'll look at other acute processes.  She then stated that we need to "rule out infection" first.

* My throat is a LITTLE sore, it's red, but no strep found.
* No abnormal blood results
* Had flu shot 2 wks ago

* Are good blood test results encouraging?  They would be abnormal if I had malignancy, right?
*I do confess I spent a lot of time checking my nodes.  That might "upset" them?
* If there were a reasonable possibility that the node was suspicious, wouldn't biopsy, etc. be ordered right away?  I certainly have not felt any large immovable nodes myself, and I assume Dr. didn't feel one either since she didn't feel it was concerning.
* Is it possible that the infection (assuming it's the cause) goes down in the next week and the node does not go down by then, or that it's even normal to have slightly larger on one side?  I don't want to do a wild goose chase of tests if there's no other reason to suspect malignancy.

Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared about lymph node
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
* Are good blood test results encouraging?  They would be abnormal if I had malignancy, right?  Right!
*I do confess I spent a lot of time checking my nodes.  That might "upset" them?  Absolutely!
* If there were a reasonable possibility that the node was suspicious, wouldn't biopsy, etc. be ordered right away?  Absolutely!
* Is it possible that the infection (assuming it's the cause) goes down in the next week and the node does not go down by then, or that it's even normal to have slightly larger on one side? Yes... we're not symmetrical beings.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline servo75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:07 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  Honestly the node she found wasn't even the one I was concerned about.  THAT one was normal!  :spineyes:

So I figure if I can't even notice anything wrong, and the doctor didn't send for tests right away, that it's just infection.  The thing is, although my throat was red, It's barely sore at all.  I don't know what antibiotics will do, and I don't know if I've ever had a swollen node with a throat infection.  I hear there is a cold going around though...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bonzlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
I get swollen lymph nodes with any kind of head/throat infection I get. I've had strep a lot, but I don't need strep to get swollen nodes. My doctor said some people are just like that. I never had it before the age of 41, so not sure why it started all of the sudden when I got older. It freaked me out the first couple times, but now I don't worry about it. It's very common.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: