Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Chicken juice splattering on my prozac?!  (Read 196 times)

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Chicken juice splattering on my prozac?!
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:59:38 PM »
Ok, I know this may sound totally irrational and obviously since I'm worrying this much my Prozac must not be working... But, I'm worried.

Yesterday my mom put raw chicken in a crock pot and it cooked in there all day. When I woke up juices/water was all over the counter from it boiling and splattering out the top of the crock pot. My bottle of Prozac was right barely a foot away from it, so I'm worried that the raw chicken juice contaminated my pills and if I take them I will get salmonella.

I didn't take my pills yesterday because I was too afraid and I am too scared to take them today. I know I can't go another day without missing them but I would rather miss my pills then get salmonella.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chicken juice splattering on my prozac?!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:11:49 PM »
If the bottle was closed - Not Even a Possibility - at least in this universe. :action-smiley-065:

Prozac caps are very sensitive to moisture - since I take them .... 40 mg for many years... And you will  notice the capsules damaged very easily by any moisture.  From my own experience....

Stay well ....
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
Yeah Emily, that's pretty irrational one for sure  :yes: They were in a sealed bottle/container. There's like a 0% chance that a drop of raw chicken juice penetrated the lid and soaked the pills. Think about it... you said it "boiled"so the chicken would have been cooked anyway. Take your meds ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline VeryScary

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:09:36 PM »
Ok, I know this may sound totally irrational and obviously since I'm worrying this much my Prozac must not be working... But, I'm worried.

Yesterday my mom put raw chicken in a crock pot and it cooked in there all day. When I woke up juices/water was all over the counter from it boiling and splattering out the top of the crock pot. My bottle of Prozac was right barely a foot away from it, so I'm worried that the raw chicken juice contaminated my pills and if I take them I will get salmonella.

I didn't take my pills yesterday because I was too afraid and I am too scared to take them today. I know I can't go another day without missing them but I would rather miss my pills then get salmonella.

Gosh our HA can be so elaborate! I would never have even thought of salmonella!

Replacing a bottle of Prozac isn't terribly expensive if you have insurance. But the real issue is do you want to give in to HA and buy the pills - knowing it will happen again? Maybe you're afraid of your Prozac a little?
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:43 PM »
I didn't take it today... maybe tomorrow I will. I'm just afraid and don't want to be worrying and waiting to get sick. And I can't replace the pills because I need another psychiatrist appointment to do that and on top of that we have no insurance now so it would be so much money.

This sucks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:41:54 PM »
Emily....

Look closely at the Prozac capsules -  look at the manufacturer imprinted information - any moisture will cause the imprint to bleed and become blurred.

if u can just 1 capsule that has this water damage - then I can understand this is within the rational realm - also if you really believe this... I would take to my pharmacy to inspect the prozac capsules for any alterations or exposures.

Are u sure your anxiety is not causing a reason for you NOT to take the Prozac?

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 06:19:01 PM »
You HAVE to take them.  Withdrawal is horrible and you can really throw yourself into a tail spin.  Please, please take it...NOW!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »
You HAVE to take them.  Withdrawal is horrible and you can really throw yourself into a tail spin.  Please, please take it...NOW!

Agreed! Going cold turkey from SSRIs is not advisable at all.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 07:10:43 PM »
No, I'm just worried about getting salmonella from it. I think it's too late in the day to take it now because I normally take it in the morning. Now I'm scared something bad is going to happen because I missed two days!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
Just take your dose. There's a 0% chance of getting salmonella based on what you said.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
Shouldn't I just wait until tomorrow morning? It's 7 pm here now so I don't want to take it now then take it again so soon in the morning.
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 07:26:27 PM »
this sounds like something i would get all in a tailspin about. i'm so sorry. you have to take the prozac.
also, if the chicken was boiling, and splattering over then it was cooked.  as long as it wasn't raw chicken juice that spilled out of the package then there is no chance of salmonella. plus all chicken doesn't have salmonella.
plus, here is the thing. if your pills were in a bottle, then there is no chance whatsoever that it got in there.

lastly, cause i always like to look at worst case scenario..you will not die. people just don't normally die from salmonella. you get diarhea, and feel bad, then you move on.  however, you will not get it from those pills
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:33:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I read that Prozac has a longer half life so if you miss a dose it isn't as bad? I'm just going to wait until the morning and hope I don't die.

I'm worried that a little drop somehow got in or there was a small hole in the container. My HA is still there but my food safety has been so bad lately. Obviously!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline reece

• Rec's: 12
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 07:45:46 PM »
food safety is an issue for me too. i am confident that you will be ok. plus, how long could salmonella live on one of those pills? probably not long. it's been days so they are fine and you will be too.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
Well, this has to be the first time I've seen this forum header!   

Just take the dose; my schedules get messed up occasionally and I take pills too late or too early and it doesn't affect me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: