Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Early Menopause  (Read 291 times)

Offline crazygirl1

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Early Menopause
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:51:05 PM »
 :( Had blood tests done & its confirmed-I've entered menopause. I am going to be 43 in September. SO my dr.s office called me yesterday to let me know he go th eblood test results back & to let me know & to ask me to come in so we can talk about this. My appt. is for Sept 23. My HA is literally ASKING me if there's any serious health risks of menopause at this age...? anybody know?
And I'm sad about this. Confirmation there will be no more babies for me. I knew that but this just puts the icing on the cake. I feel like something is wrong ( like i usually feel when HA kicks in-like there's something going on with my health)-but this is a life thing-it happens to every woman, so why do I feel a bit scared?
Bookmark and Share
Revelation 7:17
 ... and God will wipe every tear from their eyes."

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Early Menopause
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:32 PM »
Well, I'm sorry if you're mourning the end of fertility, but as far as health, there are ADVANTAGES to early menopuase. It helps in the prevention of hormone-related cancers like breast and ovarian. I'm about to turn 43 and would be jumping for joy if someone told me I was going through menopause since bc is one of my triggers. I plan to do menopause without hormone therapy when my time comes. That is a caveat regarding the health benefits.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:10:40 PM »
I'm planning to do this without HRT also as I'v e been reading about it...scares me that I was on BC pills for so many years
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 01:41:53 PM »
I feel your pain, sister. When I turned 42 this year, I got the gift of perimenopause. My formerly reliable periods now whiz between 22- and 56-day cycles. My mom is terrible at tracking changes in her body, but my sister and I have pieced together a memory of her entering menopause around 46, which I'm still processing.

Now a  question for you: Have you not had a period for a year?  Because blood test or not, perimenopause can involve periods of amenorrhea followed by periods and so on. My doc won't even test my hormones since he says hormone tests are unreliable in perimenopausal women.

Either way, I have good news and meh news for you: Women who go through menopause in their 40s have a significantly reduced risk of breast and endometrial cancers.  BUT... we have an increased risk of cardiac issues. I didn't even realize I had them in my family, but it turns out we have a strong streak of type 2 diabetes and female cardiac issues on my mom's side. So it's super important for you and I to stay active, keep our weight down, reduce stress and eat right.

Two final things: You aren't technically in "early" menopause. "Early menopause" means before age 40 - we're plain ol' normal.  You also mentioned birth control pills - I was on them for years, too. Only the high estrogen pills come with an increased risk of BC, and the risk goes away a year or so after you stop using them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 05:11:47 PM »
Well, my Grandmother began menopause at age 37... she just passed away in 2013 at the age of 103 - so no ill effects from early
menopause  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
I am 44 and am definitely in perimeno. My mom was completely through menopause by age 42. I think mine actually started when I was 43. It really kicked into high gear a few months ago, but my blood tests are normal! My doctor says that doesn't mean anything - I could still be in peri. I have cycles every two weeks, four weeks, six weeks, and have even gone nearly 8 weeks between. It's been a fun ride. I can't tell if my symptoms are HA or hormone related!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:49:52 PM »
Well, my Grandmother began menopause at age 37... she just passed away in 2013 at the age of 103 - so no ill effects from early
menopause  :action-smiley-065:

I'm totally going to print that out and hang it on my wall. Thanks, Sunlover!

I can't tell if my symptoms are HA or hormone related!

Hear, hear. It's actually sort of helped my HA because everything has gone haywire at once!  Also in those long lulls between some of my periods (sometimes up to 7 weeks), I feel more peaceful than I have in years. Hormones definitely play a part.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 06:51:13 PM »
Yes, I had the long 7 or 8 weeks without a period and felt great! Most of my symptoms were gone. I was actually hoping I was finished for good! Unfortunately, I wasn't. I'm just hanging in there for my next long stretch!
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazygirl1

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
Well since having my daughter 7 years ago my periods started getting crazy...like heavy crazy & then came the painful I mean PAINful ovulation which got my HA going GOOD, sent me to my dr. FREAKING out that I had ovarian ca. Ultrasounds later there was never a thing found. He switched my BC pills. Many times. Nothing worked. Finally I stopped the pill...still no change. My periods would be 26 days then 32 days and anything in between which I didn't think was out of line either until this past time-75 days with no period. So that's when I was due for my annual anyway & I told my dr. I am crazy. I am angry sometimes & it's scary-like I need to fight myself to keep my mouth shut at work. Other places I find myself with thoughts that only anger would make...nasty mean person I have become. Sometimes. Although since this 75 day interval-I have felt like the fuel to my fire has gone out. Calmed down. Not happy though, but just not riding that pre-period wave...so I believe I have been in perimenopause for quite some time now. I know there's been a month or 2 where I didn't have that crazy mid cycle pain-so I just didn't ovulate. I take flax too as I've red its so good for your body, who knows if that has anything to do with this....I'm not complaining at all....just weird...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 04:42:39 PM »
I got the crazy ovulation pain, too... it, combined with some free fluid, blood in my stool, and a "mass effect" on my colon lead to an abdominal CT scan that showed exactly what the u/s showed - nothing.  Wish we'd all had this chat then... I could have skipped the radiation.

Crazygirl - 75 days without a period is still considered perimenopausal. It's not until you go a full 365 without one that you're officially menopausal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gemgrl2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
I was officially diagnosed at the start if this year as peri menopausal at 45 ( blood test confirmed) . I feel like I'm going crazy with all the new symptoms. NOT GOOD for someone like me who has horrible HA. I told myself that I would not take HRT but I'm starting to think I should! Ovulation is now almost as bad as a period with the headaches, cramping and the feeling of being unwell.

We somehow have to remember that our hormones are going crazy during this time which presents with multiple symptoms. Better said than done!

Hang in there.. You're not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:13:59 PM »
I would give ANYTHING to be in menopause right now.  I am 43 and am facing the decision of getting a hysterectomy due to huge fibroids that are causing so much bleeding that I'm anemic.  Count your blessings!  I would be thrilled.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 07:57:10 PM »
Beth, I have the same issue from fibroids.  Day one of my period is hell.

Crazygirl, what kind of ovulation pain did you get?  I'm 46 and often wonder when menopause will begin.  My mother had a hysterectomy in her late thirties so I have nothing to compare to.   

I just went through a painful month last month where I had pain on one side near my ovary for three weeks.  The ultrasound showed normal except for some pelvic fluid.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 11:21:20 PM »
famv5 - I don't know about Crazygirl, but you totally described the pain and symptoms I had. One-sided pain and fluid near my ovary that initially occurred just during my period; then ovulation and my period, and then for 2-3 weeks bridging the two. My OBGYN thinks it's retrograde menstruation.  Anyway, the pain and fluid went away during my two looooong cycles.  (As did my breast pain and a bunch of other symptoms.) Like Beth, it made me look forward to menopause.  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 11:46:03 AM »
Oh yes- I also have incredible, crippling pain when I ovulate.  Good times. 

Menopause, I'm waiting! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: