Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I have to change  (Read 169 times)

Offline thewalkindude

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have to change
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:35:31 PM »
I am currently living life absolutely terrified of the situation in Ukraine. I have managed to convince myself that we are days or even hours away from the end war,
 that Russia is just looking for an excuse to nuke us, and that by not giving in and letting them do whatever they want, we're just making them mad. This has also lead to some unhealthy coping mechanisms. I want to stop this, but I don't know how. Either I've got to change, Russia has to change or the US does
. Changing me is easiest, and most likely
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have to change
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:11:15 PM »
These are just unhealthy paranoid thoughts. You need to stop worrying because I promise you that we are not "days away" from the "end war"

I really think you should look into some therapy/counselling and I believe you would be able to tremendously benefit from something like that.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline thewalkindude

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:23 PM »
I would absolutely love to enter counciling, but my work won't allow it until November. I need some kind of stopgap solutoon that isn't self-medication.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mr Panick

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:49:30 AM »
I understand exactly your feelings. I hope it won't alarm you that I feel the same way (but have felt the same way all my life!) and you and I (and some others) must accept that in fact others aren't bothered by the news as we are.

However, I was the same as a 12-year-old. I would scan the papers (nervously) for any news that could hint that nuclear war was somehow on the cards then I would worry for the rest of the day. Since then any major crisis has had me "wanting my mummy", wishing it would all go away etc. The Ukraine Crisis is driving me nuts and though I hate to watch the news, if I don't then I imagine and it's all worse!

I don't understand how others can continue with their lives in the knowledge that it could all blow up into something terrible and when I see the headlines that are overblown and sensationalized I gulp with fear and my stomach turns as I drink it all in then sit in a daze, imagining that the end is near.

HOWEVER:

I worry when receiving emails that one will be from my boss asking to see me. When it is, I spend the night sweating and worrying...

Whenever I have palps or find a lump, I am convinced that this time it really is something serious....

It was a long time before I realised that my fears were not natural. My doctor once referred to my "worries" and I then started thinking that all these worries were messing up my life.

"If only the Ukraine crisis would go away" then I could get on with my life but in truth, it would be replaced with some other fear.

You are not alone but we have lasted this long without being blown up. That is the only way I can think of it at the moment!

PS: My life is dominated by headaches, palpitations, upset stomach, fatigue, muscle ache etc so it does seem to shout "anxiety" at me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline BuzzBee1

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
Hello walkindude,

I also have GAD and worry about things.  I finally had to pretend to be an ostrich and "stick my head in the sand", so to speak.  I know avoidance isn't the ultimate solution, but it works very well for me.

I am not allowed to watch any news, nor am I allowed to read the newspaper.  I get news from *****, and from stories that my husband will filter to me.

The oil spill in the gulf, and the nuclear reactor damage in Japan both sent me into a tailspin.  After that, I have gone news free...... 

I truly believe that advances in communication have contributed to the increase in people diagnosed with anxiety.  In the old days, before TV and internet, people knew only what happened in their immediate area.  News was who was having a baby, or who had died, or who had the best garden.  No one knew what was happening in the rest of the world.  News for even major events like wars, trickled down to people over weeks and even months.

Now, we are "bombarded" by everything that's happening everywhere!  Wars, pandemics, earthquakes, tornadoes......is there any wonder so many of us suffer from anxiety when confronted with information overload?

Anyway, try limiting your news intake.  Watch only TV that makes you happy.  Read only things that you enjoy.  When someone starts talking about events that trigger you....step away.  My family helps me by not talking about issues that will trigger me at the dinner table.

I realize that this is a type of avoidance, but my life is better, my outlook is positive, and I'm not "stewing" in doom and gloom.  So, for me, it helps tremendously.

I also took Lexapro for several months to help me break the "worry" cycle.  It also helped tremendously, and during that period, I searched for...and found, strategies to help me deal with my anxiety.

Good luck to you!

Buzzy
Bookmark and Share

Tags: