Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Improvements in my Hypochondria!  (Read 298 times)

Online brittanyborg

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Improvements in my Hypochondria!
« on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Hello Guys  :action-smiley-065:

I truly can't believe that I'm about to write a POSITIVE post instead of a panic induced post that cries for reassurance! My road with HA has not been easy at all, and I know that most of your guys struggles are very similar to my own. I know my own battle is far from over but I've made some progress and there's nobody I want to share that with more then all of you guys.
(I still have my bad days but I've noticed many more good days and to me that's all I can really ask for).

Improvements:

• I no longer Google! (For me, this was a HUGE accomplishment) no more hours of incessantly googling symptoms and reading up on horrible diseases and illnesses!
  • I am seeking less and less reassurance everyday - a couple months ago I would ask my mom/boyfriend to feel my head and "check" my temperature at least ten times a day. Now this has completely stopped.
  • I'm eating much healthier (and much more regularly) - I've put back on the drastic weight I've lost and feel a little bit more like myself again.
  • I've decided to go back to University for my 2nd year which was a huge decision for me, considering how half way through last year is when my anxiety kicked into full force and I ended up barely making it through). I really want to beat this and my doctor tells me that facing life head on is the only way to do so
  • I've started taking time out of my day to read again - which is something that truly helps my mind and soul heal
  • Exercise! Okay now I must admit that I don't do it a lot but I try and get to the gym at least once a week for a nice sweaty workout, I also do my best to spend a little bit of time outside in the sunlight everyday
  • Reconnecting with old friends/family members who I had alienated because of my anxiety - I thought it would make things worse (and at the beginning it was hard) but being around true friends and loving family members is the best way to help overcome anxiety, knowing someone is there for you is a feeling like no other

I just thought I would add something positive to the forum for today, feel free to comment or add anything positive that's happened in regards to your anxiety/mental health recently! You guys are all amazing, and I owe so much of my progress thus far to some of you amazing members who I know also am able to consider friends!

As a side note, I think it's important that we count every improvement no matter how small as a win and a step in the right direction. I know we can all beat this. It's going to take awhile and lots of baby steps but we can all do it.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Improvements in my Hypochondria!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:33:06 PM »
What a lovely post!  Well done.  I'm glad to hear that someone is making progress in any way, shape or form.  There's hope for all of us, methinks.
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:44:35 PM »
I hope one day I can say the same!!! Happy for you that you are making progress :)
Bookmark and Share

Online ckelley116

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
That's awesome news, Brittany. Congratulations and keep it up - I know you will!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:00:00 PM »
Great Job Brittney :yes:

I already knew you would get better  :action-smiley-065:

You are too strong to let any of this hinder you for long - just a "road bump"....  :grinning-smiley-003:

Keep up the great work ....

We are cheering for you!
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
This is great! Good for you, girl, keep it up!!  :party0002:
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Online brittanyborg

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
None of my progress would be possible without you guys! Seriously this community is a blessing. I'm so glad to have you guys here!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."

Offline Raaawr

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
Hello Guys  :action-smiley-065:

I truly can't believe that I'm about to write a POSITIVE post instead of a panic induced post that cries for reassurance! My road with HA has not been easy at all, and I know that most of your guys struggles are very similar to my own. I know my own battle is far from over but I've made some progress and there's nobody I want to share that with more then all of you guys.
(I still have my bad days but I've noticed many more good days and to me that's all I can really ask for).

Improvements:

• I no longer Google! (For me, this was a HUGE accomplishment) no more hours of incessantly googling symptoms and reading up on horrible diseases and illnesses!
  • I am seeking less and less reassurance everyday - a couple months ago I would ask my mom/boyfriend to feel my head and "check" my temperature at least ten times a day. Now this has completely stopped.
  • I'm eating much healthier (and much more regularly) - I've put back on the drastic weight I've lost and feel a little bit more like myself again.
  • I've decided to go back to University for my 2nd year which was a huge decision for me, considering how half way through last year is when my anxiety kicked into full force and I ended up barely making it through). I really want to beat this and my doctor tells me that facing life head on is the only way to do so
  • I've started taking time out of my day to read again - which is something that truly helps my mind and soul heal
  • Exercise! Okay now I must admit that I don't do it a lot but I try and get to the gym at least once a week for a nice sweaty workout, I also do my best to spend a little bit of time outside in the sunlight everyday
  • Reconnecting with old friends/family members who I had alienated because of my anxiety - I thought it would make things worse (and at the beginning it was hard) but being around true friends and loving family members is the best way to help overcome anxiety, knowing someone is there for you is a feeling like no other

I just thought I would add something positive to the forum for today, feel free to comment or add anything positive that's happened in regards to your anxiety/mental health recently! You guys are all amazing, and I owe so much of my progress thus far to some of you amazing members who I know also am able to consider friends!

As a side note, I think it's important that we count every improvement no matter how small as a win and a step in the right direction. I know we can all beat this. It's going to take awhile and lots of baby steps but we can all do it.

Awesome! Great job!

How much did you find not googling helped? For me it helped a truck load. Literally once I stopped googling I found it so much easier to just not given my anxiety any time at all. That being said, a week on I googled something today, thinking it wouldnt effect me but it did and seems a step backwards. Anyway, my point being dont google anything if you dont understand a medical thing in the news just take it as you cant understand it!
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Online brittanyborg

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 03:05:47 PM »
How much did you find not googling helped? For me it helped a truck load. Literally once I stopped googling I found it so much easier to just not given my anxiety any time at all. That being said, a week on I googled something today, thinking it wouldnt effect me but it did and seems a step backwards. Anyway, my point being dont google anything if you dont understand a medical thing in the news just take it as you cant understand it!

Honestly, not immediately jumping to Google 24/7 has made all the difference. It's a vicious cycle that everyone needs to learn how to break, it's horrible and it becomes obsessive and habit forming. It didn't happen overnight but I would constantly resist and then the next thing I knew I wasn't craving the internets reassurance (or worse - it's diagnosis). My best advice to anyone is to stop googling as their first step towards healing, I know it doesn't solve everything but I promise that it does make a difference.
Bookmark and Share

Offline StrawberryCraze91

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
I'm so happy to hear this Brittany!  :nature-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share
Pslam 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.

Isaiah 54:17
"No weapon that is formed against you will prosper"

Peter 5:7
"casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

Online cali4niay

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Brittany,

Can you provide me with more details regarding your tummy issues? I know you said you were having issues to the point of not even really being hungry/not craving anything/lacking any appetite...

How long had that been going on (lack of appetite)?

Did that include nausea?

Any other tummy issues?

Thanks! I just can't seem to get over my stomach/nausea/lack of appetite issues.
Bookmark and Share

Online brittanyborg

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
Brittany,

Can you provide me with more details regarding your tummy issues? I know you said you were having issues to the point of not even really being hungry/not craving anything/lacking any appetite...

How long had that been going on (lack of appetite)?

Did that include nausea?

Any other tummy issues?

Thanks! I just can't seem to get over my stomach/nausea/lack of appetite issues.

My history with my stomach is a ridiculous one! I've been through hell and back with regards to my anxiety and my stomach. It all started pretty abruptly if you ask me, and it got worse as my anxiety got worse so I guess there's a pretty direct correlation of where it came from especially because I went for almost every test possible. There would be entire days I would go without so much as having even a bite to eat, I wouldn't be hungry at all and I would mainly just feel sick to my stomach or very nauseous. On the days I did eat it was pretty much because someone I loved was forcing me to eat and it usually just made me feel even worse. There was a point where even looking at food made me want to hurl. It was absolutely awful. I was losing weight like crazy! I had moments where I would have such excruciating stomach/abdominal pain that I would break down in tears. The pain would get so bad some nights that I woke wake up from it. I also developed horrible bowel habits, there was some days where I would be so constipated that I wouldn't have a bowel moment for anywhere from 3 days to 1 week. Then at other times I would have extremely loose bowels and it was always varying.
I saw so many doctors because of it and nobody could really figure out what was wrong - I had multiple blood tests done, I had a couple different types of abdominal ultrasounds done and even an intra-vaginal ultrasound and they couldn't find anything. Finally then they ordered me a colonosocopy/endoscopy and I was terrified that they were going to find something sinister and tell me that I was dying, but nope in the end that all came back clear and my end diagnosis was "having a sensitive stomach and a bit of IBS"
If you want to personal message me I'm always around to answer any specific questions you might have!
Bookmark and Share

Online cali4niay

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:28 PM »
Thanks Brittany, I'll be sure to PM you. I can totally identify with everything you just said and it's hampering my life.
I took for granted the feeling of hunger and the luxury of being able to eat. Geez, the lil' things in life make all the difference...

May I ask, how are you feeling now (with your tummy issues)? Are you vastly improved or a work in progress?

Thanks so much for your insight, it always helps to identify with someone on here.
Bookmark and Share

Online brittanyborg

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
Thanks Brittany, I'll be sure to PM you. I can totally identify with everything you just said and it's hampering my life.
I don't think you realize how you can even take hunger and being able to eat, for granted. I know I sure did.

May I ask, how are you feeling now (with your tummy issues)? Are you vastly improved or a work in progress?

Thanks so much for your insight, it always helps to identify with someone on here.

It's definitely a work in progress but a lot better from where I used to be when I couldn't even eat at all. My stomach still acts up sometimes but now I usually know that it's anxiety mixed with my sensitive stomach. Sometimes I can eat the wrong thing and at that particular time my body just isn't agreeing with it and I'll feel so sick. It really all depends. I've also learned since then that I have some food intolerances so I also try and be mindful of those. Mainly I just try to eat regularly and get my body on somewhat of a regular eat schedule (at least two meals a day - hopefully including a snack or two in there) and exercise while maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle. I think it's something you have to work at for awhile but you do start to see big improvements quickly and then slowly by slowly you feel yourself getting better. But yes, there are still times I look at food at just want to vomit (I think some things to me now are "trigger" foods though because of how sick I was before and when I would attempt to eat even though I felt so sick, I pretty much avoid certain foods now because of it - brings back bad memories).
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:09:28 AM »
So glad to hear you're doing better :D
Bookmark and Share

Tags: