Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: PVCs  (Read 172 times)

Offline jeremyschaffner

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
PVCs
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:53 AM »
Hello,

Last year I had some PVCs, did an event holter, blood work, ekg, echocardiogram, chest xray and everything came back fine.   I was doing fine until last Friday I was having a little run of them and I think I got myself worked up about them so much that I ended up in the hospital with really high blood pressure and many, many PVCs.

I'm told that in an otherwise healthy heart PVCs are benign and not any cause for concern.  The problem I have is I feel them and I hate the sensation they cause.   I should also say I've had anxiety disorder and panic attacks virtually my whole life.   The PVCs put me into that "fight or flight" response because I think I need to go get help but going to the ER again is pointless.   I exercise regularly and PVCs disappear when I'm running.

I saw a cardiologist yesterday for the first time.  They did an EKG in the office where a couple PVCs showed up.  He said he wants to do a routine workup -- echo, 48 hr holter, stress test just to make sure everything is okay.  He also mentioned if the PVCs are bothersome to me and very numerous (he mentioned over 10k / 24 hrs) there is a procedure available that essentially burns part of your heart tissue that seems to be sending the early beats.   I think hearing that scared me even more.

Anyone who has dealt with these please chime in.  Are they more symptomatic of anxiety?  Does being anxious about them cause them to happen more frequently?  Can you break the PVC cycle and eventually have them be minimal or go away?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Meds:
100 mg Zololf (just upped to 100 mg last Saturday)
50 mg Toprol XL
Klonapin -- .5 mg can take as needed
Someone also told me that Taurine and L-Theamine have really good calming properties and help the heart, thinking about trying those.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: PVCs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »
I'm 34 and have noticed my PVCs since I was 20. In absence of heart disease they are benign. Anxiety does make them worse.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline jeremyschaffner

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »
Thanks for the response Breathless!  I'm hoping by treating my anxiety the PVCs will slowly subside.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
If pvcs are what causes you to feel like your heart skips a beat or a weird flutter in your chest, then I get those too.  Mine usually strike when I am physically exhausted.  Not when I exercise, but like I feel around the holidays when I tend to rush around non-stop.  I have been on a couple of medications that made them really bad (both were long lasting bronchiodilators).  It got to the point where my heart would have about five to ten normal beats, then I would get the flutter - so it was fluttering 8 to 10 times a minute.  This would go on for hours.  I eventually stopped these medications, partly for this reason.  I never felt bad with the heart flutters.  I wasn't dizzy or sick to my stomach, so I guess my heart was functioning well enough, but it is a disconcerting feeling.  I don't think anxiety makes mine worse.  I have had some vicious bouts of anxiety without heart flutter, but I suppose everyone has different triggers.  I hope you can find relief from yours.
Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
Thanks for the response Breathless!  I'm hoping by treating my anxiety the PVCs will slowly subside.

Honestly you've likely had PVCs most of your life and never noticed them. Stress can make them act up. Reducing stress certainly helps but won't "cure" them. PVCs are extremely common.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline jeremyschaffner

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »
Looking back Breathless I probably have had them my whole life.  I think being under a lot more stress in the past couple weeks has really brought them out and I notice them more.  I also think when you're at a heightened state of anxiety, it triggers them more.   I just keep telling myself they can't hurt you, and they will eventually go away, it's just hard because they are so disconcerting. 

Thanks for the responses!  Talking seems to help a bit. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: PVC Heart anxiety GAD