Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: invited to lakehouse  (Read 109 times)

Online reece

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
invited to lakehouse
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:34:33 AM »
so, that stupid N. Fowleri thing has me rattled some(yes, sixpack, i'll go back and re-read your post) :)

but now we've been invited to lake hartwell. i am not worried about me, cause i doubt i'll dunk under the water, but my son will. jumping, tubing, etc....i'm gonna worry about it, i know i will...

reassurance...?
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: invited to lakehouse
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
The worst thing you can do is project your anxiety onto your son. He needs to enjoy his life. I am also pretty scared of this amoeba but that's only because of the stupid amounts of research I've done on it - but I can tell you that it truly is very rare.

When I was a kid I would be in lakes all summer, tubing, swimming, jumping off docks etc! I was always fine. Even last summer (before my HA went into full blast) I visited my best friends cottage and went swimming in the lake. Once again, I was fine.

I'm not sure where you live but the largest factor for the amoeba I would say is temperature, it only breeds in hot water so it depends on the temperature of the lake. Even then though, the chances are very slim. Also - has your son been in many lakes/ponds/rivers before? Has he been fine? There's some research done on the fact that they believe many people possibly unknowingly have antibodies and are immune the amoeba and have possibly contracted it multiple times in their life and nothing happened to them and their body simply killed it off. They say this is why a lot of young kids are generally the ones who pass away from it - either because there bodies haven't had the chance to develop the immunity or unfortunately their bodies just couldn't. It is thought though that many peoples bodies protect them from this amoeba.

Your son will be fine! Even you will be fine if you decide to be brave enough to go in for a dip! It's important to remember that we can't stop living life just because we fear something. If we all did that then nobody would be able to live much of a life at all. Enjoy your time up at the lake house ::)
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Online reece

• Rec's: 13
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
so, i was very reassured to read your reply. so thoughtful and informative. thanks so much.
then i got on ***** and in my feed was a news blip about this stuff being found in louisiana water supply!t
now, i don't live in louisiana, so i'm not affected by that, but i do live in georgia and now i'm about to start freaking out again. really? in their water supply? so, avoiding the lake isn't even going to help. i could get it from my own house(possibly), i mean if it in maybe in my water.

geez.
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:26:36 PM »
so, i was very reassured to read your reply. so thoughtful and informative. thanks so much.
then i got on ***** and in my feed was a news blip about this stuff being found in louisiana water supply!t
now, i don't live in louisiana, so i'm not affected by that, but i do live in georgia and now i'm about to start freaking out again. really? in their water supply? so, avoiding the lake isn't even going to help. i could get it from my own house(possibly), i mean if it in maybe in my water.

geez.

Your local water supply is usually very very well chlorinated and well kept. I have also heard about the incidents in Louisiana and to me it just does't make any sense - the local water standards over there must be so extremely poor and low in quality for this to be happening it actually blows my mind! What I always tell people is if you're really worried about the tap water in your home is go online and get the number for your local water plant (the main one in your town or city) and just ask for their latest chlorine readings. It's public information so generally you will get the readings no questions asked. If your chlorine readings in your water are fine then there is absolutely no way the amoeba could survive. Chlorine would most definitely kill it off. I really don't believe that you have anything at all to worry about.

Also, I'm very glad that I could be of some assistance ::)
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Tags: