Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: any nurses or experts to give me peace of mind  (Read 204 times)

Offline eileendunhen

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
any nurses or experts to give me peace of mind
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »
Hi everyyone im pretty new to the forum. I just had a baby about 7 weeks ago and have been having panic attacks since i got home. Mainly because of health anxiety. My new obsession is that i have a heart disease im 32 years old had a healthy pregnancy no complications. I ended up in the ER fours times cause i thought i was having a heart attack. I had 4 EKGs all perfect lots of blood work all perfect, chest xray that was perfect and a cat scan that was all perfect. My doctors told me not to worry about my heart that something abnormal would of came up if there was a problem. Got since home all four trips with pp anxiety disorder papers. With all that ill had done im still afraid they missed something. My sister in law is a nurse for over 25 years and said to drop it nothing is wrong with my heart my not over weight i dont use drugs my blood pressure is always good , no cholesterol issues no heart disease in the family. But the littlest thing like trapped gas or that tight chest from anxiety tension and hold baby mosy of the day juts makes me second guess everything. And advice please woud help thank you
Bookmark and Share

Online Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: any nurses or experts to give me peace of mind
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »
Sorry you are feeling this way. Especially after having a baby. This should be a really great time in your life:( Personally though, I don't think you need to hear from anymore nurses or experts that you are okay. Many have told you that already and you still think they missed something. I think you need to hear from other panic and anxiety sufferers that these are real feelings, but not dangerous to your body. I think we all have experienced going to hospitals and doctors offices and leaving not feeling satisfied with the answers we have gotten. It is part of the process. The real experts are the ones that HAVE panic and anxiety. I think most of us find refuge knowing that there are others experiencing our same symptoms. I think there is a kinship among patients of panic/anxiety/depression. That's why these boards are so beneficial to most of us. I hope get better soon!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:10:21 AM »
I'm sorry to say but I don't think one more person's opinion expert or otherwise will convince you it's not your heart. I sympathize that you're going through such a difficult time right now. Hormones can certainly flare anxiety, that was a big trigger for me in the post-partum period with my daughter. Also, now that you have this new little one depending on you, this may be causing thoughts about wanting to make sure you will be there for her for a long time and there's fear of the unknown that we can never guarantee it.

My advice: make sure there is someone to help support you with your little one, I know good sleep is near impossible with an infant but if possible be sure baby's father or another support person is helping with the evening care for you to rest, and in the day to when you can. Get out and get walking, it can be fun for you and the baby to enjoy nature together and exercise is important for recovery for anxiety and the postpartum period. make sure you're eating regularly, and consuming regular protein and water.

Look online for health anxiety workbooks. I'm a big proponent of these kind of things, and certainly see your doctor and get their advice on treatment, be it therapy medication, meditation, or whatever else the two of you feel is appropriate.

Best of luck and congratulations on your new baby! :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Online Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:47 AM »
Sorry you are feeling this way. Especially after having a baby. This should be a really great time in your life:( Personally though, I don't think you need to hear from anymore nurses or experts that you are okay. Many have told you that already and you still think they missed something. Maybe you need to hear from other panic and anxiety sufferers that these are real feelings, but not dangerous to your body. I think we all have experienced going to hospitals and doctors offices and leaving not feeling satisfied with the answers we have gotten. It is part of the process. The real experts are the ones that HAVE panic and anxiety. I think most of us find refuge knowing that there are others experiencing our same symptoms. I think there is a kinship among patients of panic/anxiety/depression. That's why these boards are so beneficial to most of us. I hope get better soon!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »
Hi, I can identify with what you're going through.  My daughter ispregnant with her third child (This is her third in three years, by the way) and my nervous sustem is shot becuase I feel so responsible for all these babies.  This too shall pass.  You're physicallyhealthy, but your hormones are crashing.  Hang tough, honey.

Best rgeards, and try to enjoy the baby a bit,

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline crickles80

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »
I can totally relate to what you're going thru. I had severe postpartum anxiety after the birth of my third child and I was convinced I had a brain tumor or some terrible neurological disease. I was having panic attacks, insomnia and a host of awful physical symptoms. It all hit me when my baby was seven weeks old. I ended up in the er as well, begging for a ct scan on my brain and they did a whole host of other tests as well. I didn't believe it was just PPA and got a second and third opinion as well. They all said the same thing.
Like a previous poster said, a lot of it is hormonal and having a baby is a life changing event that can add stress and that mixed with raging hormones is a recipe for a postpartum mood disorder. Hang in there and don't hesitate to get some help in the form of therapy or meds if you don't get relief from this. There are things they can give you if you're breast feeding that won't hurt the baby, such as Celexa. If you need anyone to chat with, feel free to pm me on here.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: