Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: buspar vs gabapentin  (Read 116 times)

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
buspar vs gabapentin
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:30:53 AM »
I have an appointment with my pdr Sept 2. I have been having weak spells for over a year now after stopping Prozac yes I weaned off it but all this time I have been trying to get on something to make them go away. I have been to numberous drs pdr and no one knows what is causing them. I feel they must be medicine related as I have had lots of blood work. Ian you suggested trying gabapentin one time to me. I read where one person started taking Buspar with their Prozac and had helped their anxiety. I don't know what this is but it comes out of no where but lately it is after I have eaten and my stomach doesn't feel so good either. it sounds like the symptoms of anxiety because I start out feeling weak like my arms are heavy I don't feel right in my head it then goes to tight feeling in chest and my head feels light or dizzy and I get shortness of breath or feel like can't get a deep breath. I don't like these feelings as the scare me and I am focusing on the heart this has brought on HA . I have had ekgs and echo of the heart. so was wondering if I should try one of these added to my Zoloft I am on 150 mgs just got to this last week. I have been slowly increasing it for over 2 months now. the one thing that bothers me when I looked up Buspar it showed the drugs it could not go good with and it said with like Zoloft you could get serotonin syndrome. does buspar increase serotonin ? I know it is not a benzo so are drs not afraid to prescribe it verses the benzos. how does Buspar work I know they say it doesn't work for evey body either. can you take it every day with out dependence? could you take it as needed like a benzo? so many questions wish I could find something that helped. If I could get these weak spells stopped I wouldn't have anxiety. I would feel like working on my phobias but this is holding me back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: buspar vs gabapentin
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:17:31 AM »
when I looked up Buspar it showed the drugs it could not go good with and it said with like Zoloft you could get serotonin syndrome. does buspar increase serotonin ?

No, it won't cause serotonin syndrome when taken with a SSRI. The two latest antidepressants to come on the market, Brintellix (vortioxetine) and Viibryd (vilazodone) basically combine the actions of an SSRI with those of Buspar as explained here. Adding Buspar to a SSRI to extract more from the antidepressant, or to kick-start a SSRI which has pooped-out is quite common. However, given you have only been on 150mg of Zoloft for a week it is too early to be considering supplementing it with another med.

can you take it every day with out dependence?

Yes. The problem with Buspar is that while it doesn't cause dependence, on its own it often doesn't do much. A few with GAD do well on it, but most would be better taking M&Ms. They are not only cheaper, they taste a lot better too. It is a little more effective in the SSRI supplement role.

could you take it as needed like a benzo?

No, it needs to be taken for about a week before it works.

If I could get these weak spells stopped I wouldn't have anxiety.

I suspect your "weak spells" are an anxiety symptom.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:26:47 AM »
So I need to give the Zoloft more time before doing any thing? how long should I give this last dose increase?
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
Hi Forever_Young :action-smiley-065:

If Ian, can give his input on this  :yes:

I personally had no luck with Buspar - my concern for you - if you do use it ... Start out at the smallest dose - it initially made me a little dizzy and my anxiety also went up when starting it.

I have spoken to several people about Hydroxyzine - it belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines. They are not BZD -not addictive or habit forming.

How can it help? Studies suggest that hydroxyzine helps with anxiety.

Hydroxyzine seems to work about as well as two other treatments for anxiety disorder - buspirone and a benzodiazepine called bromazepam. [101] But we need more studies to be certain.

While you are at your Dr. Office - which I know is a long drive, you may want to ask your Dr. about this medication.

- Ian - I really appreciate you and your knowledge on these medications. -

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline insights

• Rec's: 94
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
So I need to give the Zoloft more time before doing any thing? how long should I give this last dose increase?

At least a month, 6 weeks would be even better

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 03:43:21 AM »
Hi, everyone is different.  But I had hopes for buspar.  I took it for 10 weeks but nothing.
Then I tried Klonopin. Took a few weeks to find a good dosage.  I have felt totally myself GAD free.
back to normal, for the past two months.  The difference is amazing.  No constant dread, or sense that life is boring
or pointless.  I reconnected with my friends too.

By the way, the first med my shrink recommended was Gabapentin.  But I hadn't heard much about it.
I'm glad the klonopin works very well for me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: