Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Who considers themselves recovering from GAD, on the mend?  (Read 151 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Who considers themselves recovering from GAD, on the mend?
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
I consider myself recovering from GAD.  I also consider myself lucky.  Unlike many, I suffered thru GAD for just six months (though it felt like an eternity) starting in the midst of a never ending winter.  I tried Buspar for 10 weeks.  No luck.  I asked to try Klonopin.  It took a couple weeks to find the right dosage.  But I've been feeling completely my old self for almost two months.  So I was curious who on these boards considers themselves recovered from GAD or moving in that direction.

Also curious if folks have recovered and had GAD relapses.  For the record, I take 1 mg at night.  And .5 mg only as needed during the day.  It rarely is needed.

Sometimes, in recovery, I take for granted how amazing it is to have a normal day without anxiety.  I don't want to ever do that, forget.  I must remember that mornings I woke as a shadow of myself, a ghost.  How I walked through a life that looked familiar, but with only a fraction of the confidence and calm and joy.  I used to tell my doctors that with anxiety, I only feel 40% of the love of my friends.  I only feel I'm 40% the person I used to be.  The world was in black and white, not living color.

I told the doctors I hungered to feel 100% myself again.  Would that ever be possible?  They couldn't say for sure.  Well, I am feeling that possibility now and wondered how many others are.
Bookmark and Share

Online Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who considers themselves recovering from GAD, on the mend?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:42:56 AM »
I think we learn to manage our anxiety. We can bring it under full control. Thus begin to live a life once more and not even worry about anxiety at all. That is the whole thing. Changing how you think. So your mind is now thinking of other things. You can go through a day and not have to think of anxiety. Do that and you know you are learning to manage and control your anxiety. Life will become much better for you too.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
Yes, Cuch.  I also believe the key is learning to manage anxiety.  And even though I don't feel the GAD these days, I need to be vigilant.
I want to keep up with my yoga in the morning, chanting, physical x.  Also to remember deep breathing as needed and the lessons of ACT therapy.
Nichiren Buddhist philosophy also helps me as there is no blame in buddhism.

Everyone problem in our life is there because we invited it.  And no problems leaves until we learn the lesson it has come to teach us.
I continue to lead Meetup support groups for those with GAD and anxiety.  And to try to encourage people on anxiety discussion boards
as a way of giving back to the community for support they've given me when I was struggling.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
I feel I'm in the recovering stage.  My mood still goes crazy during hormonal shifts, but since I've been on Seasonique, that's occurring 4 times per year rather than 12-14!

In some ways I am doing better than even before I was diagnosed because 1) started a new job where I'm receiving much more respect and support than at my previous job and 2) therapy has really helped me work past a low self image of myself and has improved my assertiveness. I plain like myself more than I have in a decade or more.

Still not fully recovered though: I had a bad tailspin last week because of financial worries, but my husband and a few ativan helped me through. (I had gone 19 days without ativan before that which was a tremendous victory. taking it again was difficult but I felt better for it). My major issue right now is severe fatigue issues.....and fatigue leads to being easily overwhelmed. So essentially I need to get the fatigue issues tackled. Actually higher dose prozac had me more energized but I could only tolerate 20 mg due to side effects. So I hope to have a sleep study this fall and go from there.

But yes, I am doing much better than I was over this last difficult year. It's been a good summer :)
Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:57:57 AM »
For the first time in years I am feeling like I am getting back to being myself before anxiety.  I am overcoming fears that had me unable to move forward in my life.  I have returned back to school after 6 years of putting it off.  I was quite apprehensive about going back, but somehow managed to do it anyway-----now it's my second week and I am sooo happy I did it.

In the height of my anxiety I felt very on edge, nervous, scared a lot of the time, but these days I'm feeling a sense of calm, happiness, strength, and I can't tell you how relieving it feels.

This all has shown me that it is possible to recover.  In my situation, I thought myself into the state I was in----I started out a calm person, but after a very stressful event in my life my constant ruminating over what happened changed me.  So, since coming to that realization I now believe I can do the reverse and think myself out of anxiety.  And guess what?  It's working! :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
CarrieAnn, that's great to hear you're on the mend.  And going back to school!  What will you be studying?

Do you attribute your recovery to therapy or medicine or just using the power of your determination?  It sounds like you were able
to process the stressful event and move past it.

Bookmark and Share

Online CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 05:05:21 PM »
Hi Worldbeat, I'm studying Fine Arts.  When I left school six years ago I was already halfway toward my degree, so hopefully I will finish!

I'm on a very low dose of Celaxa (citalopram).  Not in therapy, although I have been in the past.  Yes, I have very strong determination---I usually do not give into my fears, by facing whatever it is that scares me.

I also have strong Faith, and indulge in Bible scripture everyday.  My devotional sits on my kitchen table for me to read every morning.

Yes, I have moved on from that event in my life----forgiven the person who was part of it.  I think forgiveness was an important part of moving on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 08:32:57 PM »
That's great.  I'm also in the arts.  I write speculative novels.  Sci-fi and philosophical.  Good luck on your degree.

I have a strong sense of optimism that I think I got from my family.  So even in dark times, I tend to
believe I can eventually overcome them.

I also have good faith.  I am Nichiren Buddhist.  In the world as we see it, there is no blame.  Every challenge
is an opportunity for learning or there is danger of stagnating.  I chant at my altar in the morning.  Also I've learned some
yoga positions I like.

I think it's so interesting to hear who people recover differently and I hope this thread leads to more stories like ours.
I'm sure some can recover as atheists, with or without meds and therapy.  I have a friend who feels his depression was
cured from a few sessions of accupunture.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: GAD recovery