Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need Reassurance  (Read 175 times)

Offline Wingnut

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need Reassurance
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »
Hi everyone my name is Jonathan. I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with anxiety around the age of 9. I have been on Zoloft for about 10 years now....and the reason why I am posting here is because of that. For the past 2 months I have had muscle twitches, fatigue, splitting headaches/migraines (I had family visit and actually stayed in bed they were so bad), dizziness, abdominal pain/bloating, and to top it off I just haven't felt mentally like myself (Not sure if it is depersonalization, but it seems close to what I feel). Now as a hypochondriac I do tend to freak out  and dwell over this stuff. Soon sometime this week I will be going to the doctor for a physical, blood test, and EKG to make sure everything is OK. To be honest I'm not in great shape...I am 6 foot 3, and probably 20 pounds (or more who knows) overweight. I walked up one flight of stairs yesterday and felt like I was about to pass out.
Now the kicker is...I went to the doctor about 6 months ago with almost the exact same issues, except without the depersonalization feeling, and was told I probably caught some sort of virus. I had no energy, pain shooting down my legs, and my heart was always beating hard. I was just curious if anyone has or has had these types of feelings? I was also curious if anyone knows possible side-effects of long term use with Zoloft?

Any Encouragement or Love would be greatly appreciated! :traurig001:

Jonathan B.
Bookmark and Share
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Mathew 6:34)

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need Reassurance
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:20 PM »
Welcome, Wingnut!   :action-smiley-065:

You will find this to be a kind, compassionate community and I hope you find all of the advice and support that you will receive helpful in conquering your HA.

Your complete physical sounds like a good plan as long as you believe your doctor when you get a clean bill of health (which undoubtedly you will!). Starting an exercise program sounds like it would be helpful for you as well (as it is for any of us).  I have not been on Zoloft but I'm sure others can help with that.

Wishing you well!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Colie2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 01:58:34 AM »
I was on zoloft for 5 years and My limbs would move involuntarily on occasion (kinda like a fat jolt) and I had some muscle twitching. Can you see a psychiatrist? Sometimes  meds stop working after a long period of time. Also, ask your dr about long term side effects. I'm sure you will get some relief after you get your physical. Anxiety can cause some pretty intense symptoms. Wishing you the best!
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:30:32 AM »
I went through a very bad phase (much like what you described) a couple months ago (around april-may). I was also pretty much completely bed ridden and I had almost every single symptom that you have just mentioned. I was completely sure that I was dying and that something terrible was wrong with me (I was so convinced that I even had some very educated doctors convinced because I was so relentless and truly so sick).
After months of testing (and I mean pretty much every kind of test you can get) I was constantly given the clear. Nobody could find out what was wrong with me and it just left me with endless frustration. I started seeing a Nathropathic doctor who helped me regain some of my health by getting me on a good food plan and starting me on some nutritious, healthy shakes. I also visited a chiropractor as well as went for some rounds of acupuncture because I just couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I was trying everything.

I'm a bit better (and stronger) now, I've also been able to put back on a lot of the weight that I had lost (about 25 pounds). My amazing doctor who I have now attributes everything I was going through to anxiety - and the fact that I was under an enormous amount of stress and not properly taking care of my body. At first I didn't believe him because I was honestly so ill that I was certain I was going to die. Every now an again I still even do doubt the anxiety diagnose (I'm not even sure why) but I do know that I'm on a nice cocktail of medications right now that seem to be taking the edge of and helping me to combat this beast! I also deeply sympathize with you because I am also your age! It's really hard being so young and going through something so debilitating.

All I can tell you is don't give up! It seems like everything is horrible right now (and you're probably right about that) but it gets better, just keep giving it everything you got. Lean on your friends and family for support and I promise you will be able to get through this really rough patch. Get all the medical tests done that you need and make sure you get your all your clears, don't leave any stone unturned! Then once you have the true medical clears you can start focusing on your health and your anxiety and finding a proper solution and combination of healthy living + medication to combat what you're going through.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm always only a personal message away if you need to talk. Stay Strong Jonathan!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Wingnut

• Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
Sorry for the late reply! Well as for physical health I am OK. My blood test and physical were all given a clear check...(I had a mini panic attack in the car after the blood test I have no idea why.) And for as big as I am and all the junk food I eat, he was surprised to see my cholesterol level at 160. All in all I guess I am a pretty healthy guy. He listened to my heart (which is my biggest fear), and he said it sounds good. I think changing my sedentary lifestyle to a more active one may help to combat some of my stress and obsessiveness over health issues.

I'm a bit better (and stronger) now, I've also been able to put back on a lot of the weight that I had lost (about 25 pounds). My amazing doctor who I have now attributes everything I was going through to anxiety - and the fact that I was under an enormous amount of stress and not properly taking care of my body. At first I didn't believe him because I was honestly so ill that I was certain I was going to die. Every now an again I still even do doubt the anxiety diagnose (I'm not even sure why) but I do know that I'm on a nice cocktail of medications right now that seem to be taking the edge of and helping me to combat this beast! I also deeply sympathize with you because I am also your age! It's really hard being so young and going through something so debilitating.

All I can tell you is don't give up! It seems like everything is horrible right now (and you're probably right about that) but it gets better, just keep giving it everything you got. Lean on your friends and family for support and I promise you will be able to get through this really rough patch. Get all the medical tests done that you need and make sure you get your all your clears, don't leave any stone unturned! Then once you have the true medical clears you can start focusing on your health and your anxiety and finding a proper solution and combination of healthy living + medication to combat what you're going through.

I wish you the best of luck, and I'm always only a personal message away if you need to talk. Stay Strong Jonathan!

Thank you so much Brittany!! It's really horrible especially at our age when were supposed to be ENJOYING life. Sadly, my anxiety had ended a couple of my friend's relationships with me in the past and has even made my college work more stressful than it should be. I am on Zoloft, and have Alprazolam (Xanax I think) for when I need it; mostly I use it for my orchestra concerts when I feel I'm about to pass out. As of now I think I have stressed my body out so much I cannot even turn my head. It's very stiff and painful...Again thank you for your words of encouragement, and I wish you all the luck in the world.  :happy0151:
Also if you ever need help as well, you are welcome to message me anytime!

Thank you again everyone!
Bookmark and Share
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (Mathew 6:34)

Tags: