Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Nervous about CT Scan tomorrow  (Read 359 times)

Offline Smitten

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Nervous about CT Scan tomorrow
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:03:58 PM »
Hello,

I am having a CT Scan with contrast tomorrow (of the head) b/c I've been experiencing "phantom smells" on and off for a few months now. I've never had BT fears until recently because I of course googled it. I am in my mid-40s and going through a lot of new symptoms that I believe are associated with normal changes, but the smell has been something I can't figure out. It is like smoke or something similar. It will last for anywhere from a day to a week or so and then go away for awhile. It always seems to come back though. Anyway, my doctor wants to do a CT scan and has referred me to an ENT, so I just wanted some feedback and maybe some reassurance from others who have experienced a CT scan or a similar symptom. Thanks for any advice. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Nervous about CT Scan tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:31 PM »
I have no experience. I have a PET/CT coming up in 2 weeks, and I am worried already.

Hope you get answers!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
Thanks. Good luck with your scans!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Ct Scans are great. Just lay back, close your eyes, and bask in the equivilent of 400 xrays at once.  I've had a few of them lol. They're nothing bad or uncomforatable, besides the fact you're going to be going through a spinning donut. I say close your eyes because the lasers some of them have can be annoying but its for aiming and what not.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Thanks. Did you have contrast?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:20 PM »
I had a CT with contrast. The entire process is a breeze and didn't take long. The contrast will feel funny and make it seem like you have to pee but other than that?... easy peasy. Good luck with the test!

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
I've had two CTs, both with contrast.  The contrast was really uncomfortable/scary for me the first time just because I didn't know what to expect, and it seemed really awful because I was just freaked out.  The second time, I was terrified but it actually wasn't that bad.  If you feel like you peed yourself, don't worry, you didn't. 

Phantom smells could be a sinus problem or a hormonal imbalance. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 02:27:00 AM »
I had/have phantom smells (aka olfactory hallucinations). I had a CT scan w/I contrast Jan 2012 after experiencing them for 6 months. It always smelled like perfume for me. CT scan was clear and normal. Then, this spring I started experiencing weird neuro symptoms with headaches, so my neurologist sent me for an MRI with and without contrast. Apparently I have the "cleanest brain" he's (my neuro) has ever seen. Yay! I still get the hallucinations, but it is all 100% sinus related. .......even when I don't have a sinus infection. Just one of my "quirks" I guess! Maybe it's one of yours too! By the way - I'm a 26/F - and a doula. So I know a thing or two about the female body. At 40 years old it is more then likely hormonal. Or sinus. Definitely not a brain tumor though - I'm living proof! Keep us posted!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 05:14:34 PM »
Thanks everyone! I got my results and all clear! Whew!! What a stressful day! I have an appointment with ENT Wednesday, so if he can't figure anything out I guess I'll just have to realize hormones are the culprit. All fits and makes sense if I look at the last few months and how everything has happened. What a relief that I can hopefully enjoy my weekend! Glad to get the results today and not Tuesday!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:35 PM »
That's great news!  How was the CT scan?  Was it as scary as you thought?

I have to have one with contrast next month for my heart and I'm terrified.  My father went into cardiac arrest from a reaction to the dye and I'm just so scared something will happen to me.

Was it a quick test?  Do they use an IV like you would get in the hospital or is it different?   

Enjoy your weekend! :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:50:17 PM »
Yay smitten!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smitten

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Thanks everyone. Actually when I got there, they said I didn't need contrast, so I didn't have it. I was relieved. I was told they give it through IV though and reactions are very, very rare. If there is one, it's an allergic reaction, so I'd ask if epi pens are close by. They were very good about answering questions. I would tell them your concerns and about your father for sure. My son had contrast with his CT Scan of his appendix last year, and my niece has had it a few different times for head CTs. Good luck!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 07:02:50 AM »
Thanks, Smitten.    My son also had one last year for his appendix.   I was SO nervous watching.

I'm glad yours went so well and you didn't have to use the contrast.   I'm sure I'll be posting on here when my appointment draws closer.;)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »
I had the oral contrast too once for my tummy. It was fruit punch flavored. it actually tasted pretty good, like kool-aid. I know this is after the fact, lol, but i thought i'd add that.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Tags: