Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Health info and decisions?  (Read 128 times)

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health info and decisions?
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:54:19 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm in a position that I need to make decisions about my health and would appreciate your input.
12 years ago I had terrible cystic acne, after getting many cyst drained, creams and everything else, I went on the birth control pill and it cleared up. My skin has stayed great for 12 years. Now, a few month ago I went off the pill and thought my skin would be fine. Nope. The last few weeks I have had breakouts of pimples and one of the cyst is starting up again. So, my options will be to go back on the pill and hope it works again, or try Accutane, which is very dangerous, and no guarantee it will work. So, the other problem is, going back on the pill sets off all of my anxiety about the increased risk of blood clots!

Any thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health info and decisions?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
Anyone else take birth control for acne?
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:50:02 AM »
Wow. My situation is IDENTICAL to yours. Identical.

I was on the pill for about 5 years, during those five years I had perfect skin. Literally perfect. I would get maybe the odd pimple here or there (usually during my time of the month) but it was always small and never really bothered me.

When my HA went full force a couple months ago everything in my life became a fear. I'm terrified of dying and my hypochondria anxiety really just doesn't help anything. Once I started researching all the things I was scared of it just made my life even worse, then I found out about blood clots and my life seriously hasn't been the same since then. To date, this is my absolute biggest fear - I don't even have time to fear much else because I am so consumed by the fear of possibly having a blood clot. I think about it everyday, it's so debilitating to my life. I've seriously been to the hospital multiple times convinced I had one. It's horrible and it's really affected my entire life.

Anyway - as soon as I found out about blood clots and the link between blood clots and birth control use I immediately stopped taking my birth control. I was crying for a couple days because I couldn't believe that I had taken it for so long without knowing (even though when I think about it rationally I realize that I took it for five years and I'm still alive and nothing happened to me and also the fact that millions of women take it everyday took and a large percentage of them are also completely fine). Once I immediately stopped my pills my face (and back) began to break out like never before - I have never experienced acne like I have these past couple months, it's horrible and the first months were the absolute worst. I went from never ever wearing make up to practically caking it on!

I bought ridiculously expensive Vichy face washes, creams and toners. I exfoliate my skin everyday. I even got a prescription from my doctor for these little wipes called "Clindets" they are just little wipes with prescription on them for acne and you wipe your face with them (I've seen a bit of improvement with them so they're definitely worth a try). I think about getting back on birth control everyday but my fear of blood clots is so present and so immense that I don't know if I can do it. I miss my clear skin so much but the worry also controls my life, I would rather be less worried than constantly on the verge of a panic attack because of a pill I'm willingly taking everyday.

As of right now I'm trying my best to take care of my skin. I'm going to give it a bite more time because you body will need a couple months to adjust to the lack of extra estrogen it's no longer getting. Once all your levels kind of re-balance themselves it should help out a lot. I'm hoping my skin gets better but if in the next little while I still am unhappy I'll cross the birth control bridge once again if I must. I really hope my skin can clear up without it though.

I really hope you figure it out. For now it's all about buying good products and keeping your face clean. Try the prescription wipes (you can also get a prescription gel that really helps) also if you're using any makeup products make sure it's hypo allergic and nothing that's going to just make your acne worse.

PS. I'm always only a personal message away if you want to talk. I really so sympathize with what you're going through because I'm going through the exact same thing with my hormonal acne!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:22:03 AM »
There may be some other measures you haven't tried. let me suggest a few

-spironolactone: a diuretic that blocks aldosterone receptors in the kidney, so there's a hormonal component that can treat the acne

-Differin Gel

-Retin-A (a topical form of accutane)

-Oral antibiotics: clindamycin, erythromycin, or doxycycline

-Proactive

And combine one or some of these with a salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide face wash.
Alternatively you could speak to your doctor about a progestin-only birth control pill that doesn't have the same risk of blood clots as the combo pills.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lam123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
Thank you for all the suggestions, when I see my dermotologist I will mention a few of these.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: