Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Too scared to do ALS ice bucket challenge!  (Read 242 times)

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Too scared to do ALS ice bucket challenge!
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:03:37 PM »
Ok is it just me or is anyone else too scared to do this? Not only do I have a constant headache anyway and don't imagine brain freeze will help but I am actually scared I'll have a heart attack with the shock of the icy water! Am I mental?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Too scared to do ALS ice bucket challenge!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
all that will happen is you will be cold and probably scream.

if you read anymore into it than that, you are allowing your anxiety to make decisions for you.   Personally, I am loathe to allow illogical fear to dictate my life.

Although there was one video of a girl who ran off screaming and ran right into a plant stand holder and clocked herself in the head!!!   :laugh3: :sprachlos020: .  Holy crow.  She was fine but did have a bump on the noggin' 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
you will probably just get a shock from the cold like sixpack said, its just to raise money for charity
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:21:45 PM »
There is that 2 seconds of shock as the water hits your system. Harmless shock. Just make sure to have a towel handy and dry off quickly and wrap yourself up till you can change clothes.

As for that girl who ran into the pole.  :laugh3: She was on Irish radio the other night. Over night star in Ireland. What her mother said was priceless in the video. Where's the ice? This when she was lying on the ground holding her head. Typical Irish mother. Runs back up to get ice off the ground for the daughter's head.  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »
Totally irrational eh!! Thanks for your replies!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »
There is that 2 seconds of shock as the water hits your system. Harmless shock. Just make sure to have a towel handy and dry off quickly and wrap yourself up till you can change clothes.

As for that girl who ran into the pole.  :laugh3: She was on Irish radio the other night. Over night star in Ireland. What her mother said was priceless in the video. Where's the ice? This when she was lying on the ground holding her head. Typical Irish mother. Runs back up to get ice off the ground for the daughter's head.  :laugh3:

best video so far!!!   all my girls and I watched it and we all reacted the same way,    :sprachlos020:   :laugh3:    LOL
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:38:01 PM »
You don't HAVE to pour cold water on your head. Did you see Patrick Stewart's Challenge? Brilliant!

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 04:46:37 PM »
The famous Irish ice bucket challenge. This is just too bloody funny. Just click the link and all have a good laugh. Apart from a sore head, she was fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoLbdQi3MIg
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »
I wont do the challenge but I do donate money to many causes and will continue. I don't need cold water with ice on my head I have a health problem that I wouldn't  risk doing it but I do think it is awesome for those that can do it and raise awareness to the cause I pray more Illnesses are brought out and challenged . I would also like to see some of the people suffering get the actual money to help pay for their bills .

I donated directly to another Illness so that person can get treatment because they didn't have the money.

Also I am seeing people not taking this serious and not donating but it has raised a lot of money so it is a Huge ! I wish those that are doing it for kicks and not helping and no nothing about ALS get educated on it.

Just my view , it doesn't make anyone a monster because they don't want ice water on their head. I don't feel bad at all because of my own health problems not just Mental.

Peace
Tye
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline ncmommyof2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I was TERRIFIED to do it. I thought for sure it would send my heart into shock. But after asking my husband a dozen times in the five minutes leading up to me doing it if my heart would stop or it would literally freeze my brain, I decided I would do it. Not only for ALS, but for myself to prove to myself that I could do it. If millions of other people are doing it and not dropping dead, we can too! And I did it...a week later, I'm still here to talk about it. So go for it!! You can do it! :-)  :goofy:
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
Yes a wee bit mental   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: