Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Unable to gain weight?  (Read 147 times)

Offline Forrester

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Unable to gain weight?
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
Not sure if anyone can relate here, but I had a really rough bit of anxiety back in May. I'm usually around 152lbs (5'11"), but when I weighed myself a few months ago, I was down to 146. Since then my anxiety has mostly tapered off, and I've been eating normally. The only problem is I can't seem to gain any weight? I've been hovering between 147-148, and haven't been able to move up. They say cancer involves weight loss, but if it were something like that, I probably wouldn't be holding where I am, right?

Anyone have any experience with this? I've lost weight before when I'm anxious, but haven't had trouble gaining it when I'm calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline riizzoe

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Unable to gain weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:21 PM »
I had the same problem when my anxiety was really high.I lost about 20 pounds because I couldn't eat anything. After my anxiety got better and I was eating normal again, it took me about 3 month to gain 10 pounds. So I know how you feel , I was worried to that I had cancer and would weigh myself everyday.( sorry about my English I am from Switzerland)It just takes time to gain your normal weight back.
Bookmark and Share
“Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom.”
― Søren Kierkegaard
“Life is ten percent what you experience and ninety percent how you respond to it.”
― Dorothy M. Neddermeyer

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »
Consider yourself fortunate. You have a healthy metabolism and are consuming the proper amount of calories. Think of all the poor souls that look at food and gain weight  ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »
Cancer would give you a lot more symptoms than just weight loss. You would be in a bad state and probably not posting here, my friend. :)

All things considered there is nothing wrong with being skinny. However if you want to add a bit of mass, this is what you do. Eat 1 can of Tuna a day with your regular diet for the protein because protein causes your body to bulk up. If you really wanted to you could up your carb intake a bit if you are overly concerned about being too skinny. Bananas have some carbs... so does Ramen noodles...

Either way I believe you are going to be just fine. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:56:20 AM »
I am going through this currently and I know how frustrating it is when people wonder why you'd want to gain weight? I was working out heavily and went from 213 to 197 all the while lifting weights. I stopped because life got busy(new job, kids got sick, etc.) I still tried to watch what I ate but never kept an eye on my weight. 2 weeks ago I weighed myself assuming I'd have gained weight due to constant cheat days and I was down to 192!

Naturally I freaked out and looked up unexplained weight lloss. The first 2 causes cancer and hiv naturally I assumed I had hiv because in my mind that was the worst. I began weighing myself 20 times a day and to my heartbreaking realization I dropped to 190. I began panicking and stressing and researching all day. I knew I was eating more yet losing weight still? My gf went and got an hiv test(it was negative) to shut me up. Didn't work I came up with all these reasons why that didn't matter. I worried, paced, cried, over thought non stop. Finally got to 192 last night this am back to 190 instant freak out. I'm so stressed about weight and what I'm eating I almost gag on food.

Little facts to keep in mind(wish I could take my own advice). It takes 3500 calories to gain a lb or to keep it simple 500 excess calories per day. If you are eating your exact maintenance and then burning calories you won't gain weight. I never realized how many meals I've skipped or the fact I drank water all day and walked around for my new job all these things play a roll not to mention worrying burns a ton of calories! Hope this helps even though I can't convince myself haha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 12:24:58 PM »
I wanted to add to what's been said. If you're looking to gain weight, adding muscle mass is the healthiest way to do so. Weight training and proper nutrition are key. A diet higher in proteins (fish, chicken, lean beef and whey protein supplements)and low glycemic carbs (brown rice, sweet potato, whole wheat etc.) along with weight training 2-3 times a week will build muscle. Muscle is denser than fat and you'll gain weight while not increasing your waist size or risking your heart health. There's a bit more to this but this is basically it.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: