Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I can't believer the E.R diagnosis I got. help!!!!  (Read 733 times)

Offline jimmy7777

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
I can't believer the E.R diagnosis I got. help!!!!
« on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:15 AM »
I went to the ER last night and was told I have Acite asthma exacerbration, andwas prescribed antibiotics and steroids.
The truth is I really don't believe that diagnosis. There has to be something more sinister going on because its not like I'm having episodes of asthma attacks throughout the day. I'm having problems breathing 24/7 sometimes it feels like I'm struggling to get air in and other times its not that bad but still there. There's no way its asthma. If it was asthma I wouldn't be having these problems 24/7 plus sometimes I can take my inhaler and ot doesn't even work.
Bookmark and Share
There is nothing we can do with suffering
except suffer it. "C.S Lewis"

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: I can't believer the E.R diagnosis I got. help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
I even told my Dr about my mold concerns and he said he couldn't tell me-maybe I need to go to the health department.  Wtf is up with that? Why wouldn't he be able to tell me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:39:32 PM »
What was your pulse ox rate when you went to the ER? Are you sure it's just not "air hunger" due to anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:00:28 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

On your previous post about the mold, you had basically everyone reassure you it wasn't anything to concern yourself with.

You said this in that thread: "Since I woke up this morning I've been dealing with bad anxiety and my asthma has been horrible which is making my anxiety even worse which in return is making my asthma worse."

So you went to the ER where they diagnosed you with acute asthma exacerbration (asthma attack). You admit your anxiety is high. Seems to me they nailed it. Take that and your anxiety making it even worse (which anxiety will do) and there you have it. It's not mold or anything sinister, it's an existing physical condition aggravated by an existing mental condition.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:51:13 PM »
What was your pulse ox rate when you went to the ER? Are you sure it's just not "air hunger" due to anxiety?

My pulse ox rate was staying between 98-100

Hi Jimmy,

On your previous post about the mold, you had basically everyone reassure you it wasn't anything to concern yourself with.

You said this in that thread: "Since I woke up this morning I've been dealing with bad anxiety and my asthma has been horrible which is making my anxiety even worse which in return is making my asthma worse."

So you went to the ER where they diagnosed you with acute asthma exacerbration (asthma attack). You admit your anxiety is high. Seems to me they nailed it. Take that and your anxiety making it even worse (which anxiety will do) and there you have it. It's not mold or anything sinister, it's an existing physical condition aggravated by an existing mental condition.

Positive thoughts

Its just so hard for me to stay positive.  I know it soinds crazy but I always think that if I believe its nothing bad then I will curse myself and it will end up being somethig bad.

I'm just gonna start the steroids and antibiotics and see where that leads.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
What tests did they run at the ER?
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 06:29:58 PM »
I know it soinds crazy but I always think that if I believe its nothing bad then I will curse myself and it will end up being somethig bad.

I'm the same way, but that's not how it really works.  Mental illness is a bitch, man.  But we can't make bad things happen by thinking about them a certain way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »
What tests did they run at the ER?

They did a chest xray, blood work, ekg. It all came back clear.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
Classic healthy anxiety response...you had an asthma attack brought on by anxiety. 

The mold is no joke and if they thought for one minute that was what was wrong with you they wouldn't have just sent you on your way. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:49:45 AM »
I just took my first dose of steroids now I'm about to eat and then take my antibiotics.  I have a appointment today at 1:30 with my regular Dr. Right now I'm kinda fraking out because I'm having trouble breathing and feeling funny after taking the med.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:53 AM »
A bad asthma attack most certainly CAN make you feel breathless throughout the entire day and for several days at a time. In a severe episode of asthma you may not just have acute bronchospasm but inflammation that is persistent.  Add to that your anxiety, no doubt that's making breathing more difficult and they are affecting each other. It's scary and it can be hard to break out of a loop like that, but worrying that there is another sinister diagnosis going on at this point is going to be of no help. You're on good strong medications, trust that they are going to do their job, but also know that they are going to take a few days.

Steroids can make you feel a little loopy sometimes, they are known to do that but they are good meds for asthma. take it easy for a few days and let us know what your doc has to say  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
The doc visit didn't help much. If anything it made things worse. First the Dr told me that my WBC was up about 1 point. He said it's nothing to worry about but I'm still a little nervous about it. What really worries me thoigh is they did a spirometry on me and it showed a mild obstruction.  He told me that my lungs sounded clear. I'm really freaking out badly right now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 04:37:20 PM »
I have asthma (dx'd from a breath test) and most certainly do not get asthma attacks throughout the day everyday. You are mistaken that asthma has to do that. And yes, anxiety can and does make asthma worse, as PP suggested.

Edit: Saw your last post. The breath test you took was not wrong. You have asthma. If it was something more sinister, it would detect that, too.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
The doc visit didn't help much. If anything it made things worse. First the Dr told me that my WBC was up about 1 point. He said it's nothing to worry about but I'm still a little nervous about it. What really worries me thoigh is they did a spirometry on me and it showed a mild obstruction.  He told me that my lungs sounded clear. I'm really freaking out badly right now.

Asthma will do that.... HA makes you focus only on the negative. "nothing to worry about" and "lungs sounded clear" are very positive things and essentially you were given the all clear. You can freak out if you want but there's no reason to ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline jimmy7777

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 04:46:13 PM »
I have asthma (dx'd from a breath test) and most certainly do not get asthma attacks throughout the day everyday. You are mistaken that asthma has to do that. And yes, anxiety can and does make asthma worse, as PP suggested.

Edit: Saw your last post. The breath test you took was not wrong. You have asthma. If it was something more sinister, it would detect that, too.

But I have trouble breathing 24/7 now. Can that happen fron asthma? I thought with asthma you have an asthma atack and its over? I didn't think that asthma can make it hard to breathe 24/7. My main fear is the sprirometry test. I'm affraid thats the sign of copd and I'm also affraid that it may be worse than a mild obstruction because I kinda cheated. At the end I was pushing air more out of my mouth rather than my lungs and the first time I did it I kinda took my mouth off of it for a second and pushes that air through, so I'm thinking it may actually be moderate to severe.

Does anybody know anything about these spirometry test?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: