Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: So worried over MRI results  (Read 336 times)

Online cutecat25

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
So worried over MRI results
« on: August 27, 2014, 03:35:27 AM »
They said I have a pituary lesion, which apparently showed up in my MRI last year too, but the doctor never mentioned it.
The neurologist said its good news that it showed up in my scan last year as that means it is probably a normal part of my brain. But whenever I google it it comes up with pituary tumors.

Also I have to get a spine MRI to check if there is fluid as the way my brain is positioned or something is a little off..

I'm so worried i keep breaking down...I'm only 21...whenever I get these scans there always seems to be something abnormal.

The neurologist said these could all be part of my normal brain, but it's so hard to believe.
I don't know what to do anymore, has anyone else ever had abnormal results? Did they turn out ok.
Bookmark and Share
Check out my Anxiety And Depression Youtube Channel:

http://youtu.be/yohg_juVlZg

Offline Bonzlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
Re: So worried over MRI results
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:40 AM »
I'm sorry you're so worried. I know first-hand how hard it is and how the thoughts can just make it so much worse.

Pituitary tumors are almost always benign. It would be highly unusual for it to be malignant. More people have them than is realized, since they are often asymptomatic. I have two friends who have one. One developed severe headaches at the onset of puberty. They never took it out and she is now 43 years old and still gets some headaches, but mostly it got better when she got older. Another friend has one and hers causes some mood swings. Again, they never took it out and she is 39 years old.

I don't know anything about the spine exam issue. If it's something you've had all your life, and it doesn't cause you problems, it's likely not to be an issue. Doctors sometimes just want to know to be sure.

I wish I could take your worry away. Hopefully some of what I said will help.

Best,
Bonlzee
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »
If there were any potential issues, the doctors would be running batteries of tests. It appears based on your post, that you are OK.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online cutecat25

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the reply. It does give me some reasurrance that your friends situations arent too serious.  Do they need to get check ups for the rest of their lives to monitor it?
Bookmark and Share

Online cutecat25

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »
I cant even function anymore.
I googled (couldnt help myself) and even though a few articles mentioned that many people go through life without ever knowing they have this pituary lesion, there was also many other horrible posts about brain surgery, and blindness.

Im so worried, not only that but i have to get a spine mri to check for a csf leak and a bunch of hormone blood tests today.

The neuro doesmt even think that my original symptoms (reason i got mri) are anything to do with these findings so now ontop of all the symptoms im suffering i have to go through this too.

Also they had a look at my mri from last year and apparently i had the lesion then too. How come no one told me? The neuro thinks its good news that i had it in both scans.
Bookmark and Share

Online cutecat25

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »
This is what the report said :
Unusual appearance to the brain stem with somewhat flattened appearance to the ventricular pons. (My last MRI said I had a slight flattened skull, and I was born with quite severe neck problems so I hope its due to that but I'm still worried).
 There is no tonsil lad or uncalled herniation or su falcons. No hydrocephalus nor slit like appearance to the ventricular system.
 No mass lesion seen intracranially. No atrophy of the brain. Optic nerves and chaise normal in signal and no diffusion restriction abnormality normal SWI.

No lesion IAC inner ear, CPA. Para nasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are clear. Prominent posterior pituary bright spot at 7mm  of uncertain significance.

Conclusion: flattened appearance of ventricle pons. Significance uncertain.  Transientoriel herniation  in the setting of intracranial hypotension is a consideration. Please clinically correlate in the first instance. Should this be a significant possibility clinically then MRI whole spine should be undertaken for any possible CSF LEAK.

Can anyone understand this,? Even my go could barely understand it.

I'm so worried. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bonzlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:33:23 PM »
Just to follow up, my friends do not go in for checkups very often. They said they just monitor symptoms and have their thyroid checked because a lesion on the pituitary can cause thyroid problems. Every 5 years or so they do an MRI to see if there has been a change in size, but so far after a couple decades they have seen no change. The pituitary gland controls a lot of the endocrine system, so the doctor is probably just making sure your hormones are all in balance. I have a thyroid problem with no lesion, and it's no big deal to get help for this.

And 7mm on a pituitary lesion is tiny. My friend who gets super headaches said hers is 1 inch, which is about 25 mm. So that is probably why the doctors aren't worried at all.

Probably what they are doing is getting baseline measurements. If the doctor is worried he would probably say something to you. If he isn't worried, this is probably routine tests just to make sure the lesion is not effecting function of the pituitary gland.

I would ask the doctor point-blank if he is concerned and see what he says. It's not fair to make you wonder. Part of his job is to support you through the medical process, and explaining why the tests are done is only fair.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:01 PM »
When I was 23 I went to the ER because I had a horrible dizzy spell. They ran tests and a ct scan and released me the same day with normal results on all tests. About a month later I saw my GP and she mentioned the ER doctor had sent the report from my visit and it stated I had a 1.3cm cyst on my brain. I freaking lost it. Turns out it was a normal incidental finding and was not the reason of my dizzy spell. I am 27 now!!!
There is a good chance the cyst has been there since utero or early childhood. It's tiny and fluid filled and I was reassured to not worry and no follow up needed.

This is why I HATE medieval testing. You are likely to always find something that will cause unmessacary panic.   
Bookmark and Share

Online cutecat25

Indescribable
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 04:05:31 AM »
Thanks to both of you. I feel a little more reasurred.
I had the blood tests today.
My biggest fear is having to have surgery,  because I read so many horror stories online. I just pray that I wont have to.
Thanks again :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: