Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I think I developed a lazy eye?  (Read 88 times)

Offline owls

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I think I developed a lazy eye?
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:09:35 AM »
I know this isn't just my anxiety because when I look in the mirror sometimes, my right eye is really close to my nose and more recently, I can see it in photos. I never had a lazy eye as a child and I don't think you can 'develop' a lazy eye so i'm kind worried what it could be. I don't care if I DO have a lazy, I just want to know that everything is okay and nothing is wrong or something happened to a muscle or something. Does anyone know what this could be?
Bookmark and Share
“Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.”
—Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Bonzlee

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • All is as its meant to be!
    • Poke This Member
Re: I think I developed a lazy eye?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 05:03:19 AM »
My son actually has this. When the eye turns inward or outward it's called strabismus. The eye doctor told me it is inherited. I think the only way you could develop it is if you had a traumatic brain injury. And I'm not talking a bump on the head that gives you a lump, but a seriously bad injury that causes unconsciousness, coma, and neurological damage.

Our eyes naturally turn inward when we are looking at something close. This is called convergence. It's normal and you would see it if you were looking close in a mirror. When a person reads, their eyes converge to focus the words on the page.

If you want an expert to check it for you, go to a behavioral optometrist. They are like a regular optometrist with specialized training. For the cost of a regular eye exam they will look into it for you. You can find one in North America (not sure you're there, but if you are...) by searching www.covd.org.

Also, even if you have it, it's not the end of the world. You can do vision therapy to fix it. You can read the book "Fixing My Gaze" about a woman who fixed this issue when she was 48. We did vision therapy for my son and it fixed it for him. No surgery, just eye exercises.

Best,
Bonzlee
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 05:12:12 AM »
You can develop a lazy eye at any point in time.  See an eye doctor to confirm, because you need special glasses to strengthen a lazy eye, but if that's what you do have it's probably not anything to worry about. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »
I had lazy eye as a child, but it also caused double vision. Between exercises and glasses it resolved :)

Best place to go would be an eye dr to have it checked if it concerns you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: