Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Friend Died Mixing Pills-Alcohol- Now Im Afraid to Take Meds  (Read 322 times)

Offline ImObsessed

• "We're all here distracting ourselves until we die." -( J.J. Abrams)
  • Rec's: 2
  • Im an egomaniac with low self esteem
    • Poke This Member
Friend Died Mixing Pills-Alcohol- Now Im Afraid to Take Meds
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »
A friend who was not al all old recently died from respiratory arrest. He was drinking wine in the evening and on xanax and possibly a pain killer.
I take 1mg of Klonopin at night before bed. Imnot sure how much he was on. I always thought it was almost impossible to OD on benzos. So I start Googling and read that benzos can cause respiratory arrest. Now Im worried I may stop breathing in my sleep! I dont drink except the occasional beer during the day (which im stoping now that I heard about the deadly combo). But this is seriously making me think I should ween off the Klonopin. I am worried it will slow down my breathing during the night. I snore and was once told I have mild sleep apnea. to make matters worse the other day I had a pulse oxy-meter put on my finger and it was only 91. The doc didnt seemed concerned but all this has me worried. Its usually 99 or 100. But I did read those finger meters are not reliable.
 Ugh. Any advice?
Bookmark and Share
Im obsessed with my health and my current obsession is my liver.

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Friend Died Mixing Pills-Alcohol- Now Im Afraid to Take Meds
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:53:36 PM »
Don't fear benzos if taken as prescribed. Simply don't drink alcohol while taking these meds, very dangerous.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline ImObsessed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
Your name "Breathless" makes me think you have similar breathing anxieties yes?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 01:42:48 AM »
But this is seriously making me think I should ween off the Klonopin.

Benzodiazepines have been around for over 50 years and have proven to a exceptionally safe, when used as prescribed by your doctor. 

If you did develop a serious drinking issue - then without question you should not be on any medications, including benzodiazepines or opiates.  One of my older brother died from (Opiates-BZD Alcohol combination)  :(.

But this doesn't sound anything like your case, you appear to very responsible in your use of alcohol.

It just understandable anxiety when we lose someone close to us... :(

I am worried it will slow down my breathing during the night. I snore and was once told I have mild sleep apnea. to make matters worse the other day I had a pulse oxy-meter put on my finger and it was only 91. The doc didnt seemed concerned but all this has me worried. Its usually 99 or 100. But I did read those finger meters are not reliable.
 Ugh. Any advice?

I lived with mild Sleep Apnea for over 20 years without any problems.  :yes:

I wouldn't worry about it  :winking0008:

In the near future, if your insurance covers it, you might plan to have "Overnight Sleep Apnea" which is very thorough and accurate.

I am sorry for your loss,

Hang in there  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:22:20 AM »
I'm so sorry about your friend. 

Benzos are very dangerous to mix with excessive alcohol use, though plenty of people can drink small amounts like a glass of wine on them and be fine (my gf takes clonazepam and drinks and sometimes even gets drunk occasionally with no problems); your friend was just really, really unlucky. 

A lot of people think it's weird that I refuse to drink AT ALL, but between my medication, severe emetophobia and a strong predisposition towards alcoholism with a history of serious mental illness, it's just not worth it for me to drink.  There's totally nothing missing from my life without drinking; I can still go out with friends who do drink and it's a total nonissue.  (I hate bars and clubs because I hate noise/not  being able to talk to people, so I don't really do that anyway, but when I do and don't drink, no one cares.)  So if the thought of drinking any alcohol on the medication causes you that much distress, you can always give it up.

But you're not going to die just from taking the medication as directed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 12:45:37 PM »
Don't fear benzos if taken as prescribed. Simply don't drink alcohol while taking these meds, very dangerous.

THIS.  Moral of the story is don't mix benzos or pain killers with each other or alcohol.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 24
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
I'm so sorry about your friend :(  Don't allow his mistake to stop you from taking your meds "as prescribed". Learn from this and don't drink!

Here's the deal people. I've seen enough posts to know that alcohol and anxiety don't mix. Especially if you're on medication. In very few instances, people can handle it but there are enough posts about it to prove my point 100X over. Drinking at best will increase your anxiety levels (especially if you're hung over) and at worst, take your life.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline ImObsessed

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:19:55 PM »
I'm so sorry about your friend :(  Don't allow his mistake to stop you from taking your meds "as prescribed". Learn from this and don't drink!

Here's the deal people. I've seen enough posts to know that alcohol and anxiety don't mix. Especially if you're on medication. In very few instances, people can handle it but there are enough posts about it to prove my point 100X over. Drinking at best will increase your anxiety levels (especially if you're hung over) and at worst, take your life.

Positive thoughts

Yep for sure. I remember my very first panic attack back in 1995. I was badly hung over and driving the car when it hit. Alcohol, for me anyway feel great initially. The first drink is always the best when I feel the wave of relaxation engulf me. But from there its all downhill.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
It wasn't so much the benzos, as the combination of opiates and alcohol with the benzos that probably did him in. First of all i'm very sorry to hear about your friend... second of all I want you to know that it is nearly impossible to die from benzos alone. I'm on 6mg of clonazepam and up to 2mg of lorazepam a day, and I've had my psychiatrist tell me straight up that I could take a months worth at once and I'd only go to sleep.

Benzos and Opiates are considered a very, very dangerous combination. Combining those two with alcohol... the 3 mixed together... that's what did it... and I'm very sorry it happened. But what I'd like to impart to you more than anything else is that as long as you stay away from pain killers and alcohol, there is absolutely no way for you to die of CNS deppression from benzodiazepines. Dying from overdose of Benzos alone is absolutely unheard of. The withdrawals can kill you, but not the drug itself.

I don't suggest ANYONE do this, but one night I was feeling really anxious, and knowing how safe benzos are and wanting to "benz out" I took 7mg of Lorazepam on top of the daily clonazepam dose I take. All I felt was a bit drowsy and had a nice sleep. Now I don't suggest anyone do this, but that's just an example of how safe benzos are. That's the reason they use them now far more commonly than barbiturates, because Barbiturates were the drugs killing people.

I hope this helps! God bless you and your friend.

-Panda
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart