Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm New and Terrified  (Read 164 times)

Offline AnxiousMatty

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm New and Terrified
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:49:33 PM »
Hello,

My name is Matt. I was diagnosed with an anxiety and panic disorder 6 months ago. I really just need to reach out right now because these symptoms make me insane.

I've been experiencing ringing in my ears 24/7. The ENT told me it had to do with my blood pressure. I eventually was prescribed beta blockers, and the ringing is still ongoing. It's very terrifying when it gets loud.

I get these sharp pains on the top of my head. It makes me think there is something wrong with my brain.

My left arm constantly tingles. Sometimes my left leg tingles. It's also terrifying.

I get these dizzy spells when the ear ringing gets louder. Smoking makes it all worse. I'm trying to quit.

My anxiety and panic surrounds my heart health. I hate feeling my heart beat and I feel it all the time.

I get angry at all of this. I get angry at my girlfriend when she doesn't deserve it. I get moody and lazy and miss work. I absolutely hate all of this.

I really don't want to live the rest of my life like this. Constantly terrified that something is really wrong. I hate taking ativan or other meds like that because I used to be a drug addict. And when I start, I just don't stop. Nothing in my life has made me want to die so badly, and be so terrified of death at the same time. I'm not suicidal. Not yet.

Am I destined to live the rest of my life like this? To live with these symptoms and thoughts. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Thank you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm New and Terrified
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
Hi Matt.  I am sorry that you are going through this.  As you can see from all the posts, you are not alone.  There is hope.  I have had GAD all my life that I can remember.  I have worried about everything under the sun including all the health issues you mentioned.  I finally got the courage to go to therapy last year.  I went for about 6 months.  I am much better though I have still have some bad days with anxiety, but it is usually less intense and doesn't last as long as before.  I haven't taken meds for it, though I am on a beta blocker for migraines, which does help with some of the physical symptoms.  I may try other meds one day,  but I worry when I take new meds (what a shock).  Anyway, if you haven't tried therapy, give it a try.  Don't give up hope.  Things can get better.
Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline panicbarbie

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:56:20 PM »
Hey Matt im Barbie i no exactly how u feel im feeling the same way it drives me crazy and i was doing so well the last year and my Anxiety out of no where just flared back up..after a cold pain in my shoulders taking deep breaths feeling likevi have no air wondering if i should go to hospital or if its anxiety. ..anyway it really sucks
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:27 AM »
Hi Matt,

I suffered with Panic disorders for years, I know first-hand the terror  B-;

Fist thing, is to stay strong and understand this is not you - but a biological disorder that can now easily be controlled. :grinning-smiley-003:

You are IN CONTROL - even if your body is acting crazy - understand these feelings will pass...

I noticed you mentioned:  "I hate taking ativan or other meds like that because I used to be a drug addict. And when I start, I just don't stop"

Please make sure your let your doctor know about this, my two older brothers had severe drug addictions, so I personally understand how terrible drug addiction can be (both are no longer with us - drug OD  :().

Speak to your doctor about possible medications that may help your panic disorder that are non-addictive, or habit forming such as:

Hydroxyzine
BMJ Group Medical Reference
Introduction

This information is for people who have anxiety disorder. It tells you about hydroxyzine, a treatment used for anxiety disorder. It is based on the best and most up-to-date research.

Does it work? Yes, probably. Studies suggest hydroxyzine works better than a dummy treatment used for comparison (a placebo). Hydroxyzine also seems to work about as well as buspirone and benzodiazepines, two other drug treatments for anxiety disorder. But there isn't enough good research to be certain. We didn't find any good-quality studies to say if it works or not for children and teenagers.

What is it?  Hydroxyzine belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines. These drugs make you feel calm and may make you feel sleepy. Doctors sometimes give hydroxyzine to people who are nervous before having surgery. [84] Your doctor may offer you an antihistamine if your anxiety suddenly gets a good deal worse. Antihistamines are normally only prescribed for a few weeks.

You can take hydroxyzine as a tablet or a liquid. Brand names for hydroxyzine areAtarax and Ucerax.
If you take hydroxyzine, you should feel the calming effects within a few hours of the first dose. Higher doses make you sleepier than lower doses.

How can it help?  Studies suggest that hydroxyzine improves people's symptoms. [101] Researchers measure symptoms using symptom rating scales. They look for improvements in a long list of symptoms including worry, tension, fear, and depression. They also look for overall improvements in how you feel.

Hydroxyzine seems to work about as well as two other treatments for anxiety disorder - buspirone and a benzodiazepine called bromazepam. [101] But we need more studies to be certain.

How does it work?  Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine, which means it blocks the effects of a chemical called histamine. Blocking the effect of histamine in your brain makes you feel calm.  Hydroxyzine works in a similar way to benzodiazepines. Doctors know that benzodiazepines help people with anxiety disorder, so they think that hydroxyzine might also work as a treatment for anxiety disorder.

Can it be harmful? Hydroxyzine can cause side effects, including headaches and drowsiness. [101]
If you take a drug that makes you sleepy, you're more likely to have an accident. If you're feeling drowsy, do not drive or operate any machinery.

How good is the research on hydroxyzine? The research on hydroxyzine is reasonably good. We found a summary of the research (a systematic review) that included five good-quality studies (randomised controlled trials).

[101]  The summary found that people who took hydroxyzine were more likely to have their symptoms improve than people taking a dummy treatment (a placebo). The summary also found that hydroxyzine seemed to work as well as two other treatments for anxiety disorder - buspirone and a benzodiazepine called bromazepam. However, we need more research to know for certain.

www.webmd.boots.com/anxiety-panic/anxiety-hydroxyzine

I found this really exciting!  :grinning-smiley-003:

Welcome to the forum, we have a lot of supportive and knowledgeable people - so you are not alone! :yes:

Let us know about your progress  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 02:24:14 AM »
You are not alone. I feel like the exact same way. In fact, I was laying in bed getting ready to go to sleep when I started wondering if I'll ever "feel better" and decided to come on here before my thoughts got deeper. Anxiety is awful. No one understands what's it's like unless they suffer from it. I think it's only up to us to try to overcome it, or at least try to cope with it. I think that takes a lot of time and hope. Feel better and know you're not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kavenchols

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:42:49 AM »
It all sounds silly but when panic overwhelms your life, just achieving these small goals is incredible...
Bookmark and Share

Tags: