Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What are the chances of a 24 y/oF w/ no fam history...ALS  (Read 214 times)

Offline Hypowoman90

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What are the chances of a 24 y/oF w/ no fam history...ALS
« on: August 26, 2014, 08:41:33 PM »
I don't usually get affected by diseases that suddenly get tons of media coverage, but this ALS things is scaring me. I don't have many symptoms... yet. Just that my left arm feels tired and achy even though i haven't doone anything for it to feel that way. But I am afraid this will be my demise soon. I do get a lot of symptoms of it from time o time. Like twitching.

I'm a 24 year old female and I have no family history of an disease at all besides cataracts.

My hypochondria has been at a plateau for the past couple of months but now...
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: What are the chances of a 24 y/oF w/ no fam history...ALS
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 09:57:51 PM »
ALS is largely a non-genetic disease--by that I mean it doesn't typically run in families.  so not having a family member with ALS doesn't really mean anything one way or the other

having said that, you don't have ALS.  and you almost certainly never will.

your left arm feeling "tired" and "achy" is NOT ALS.  twitching   is not a determiner of ALS either.  twitching is most often caused by stress/anxiety, muscle over use and nerves just getting nervy.  As far as I am concerned twitching is a great big YAWN. 

Don't jump on the ALS fear band wagon.  You don't have it.  No one else on this board has it either.  Most hypos will fear this at one time or another all because it is SCARY, TERRIBLE, almost always fatal, and a disease that takes a while to diagnose--not because docs don't think something is wrong but because it is a disease dx'd after other things are excluded first..  Which makes  this disease a FAVE among hypos. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
I fear ALS cause my almost constant breathlessness. I fear my diaphragm is compromised from ALS.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
Your arm is most likely tired because when you're anxious, you tense your muscles without noticing. And with the twitching, that can be because of a vitamin deficiency or just being tired :) I had it all the time to where I would be twitching noticeably in class, and I asked my doctor and she told me to take multivitamins, and after that it was better. I'm sure you're totally fine, I hope you feel better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Breathless, your diaphragm is most often the last thing affected. It is a distal to proximal disease.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Tags: