Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Melanoma?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Forrester

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Melanoma?
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
Kind of freaking out right now. I've had this "mole" on my back for years and hadn't thought anything of it until I saw a piece on the news the other day about a rise in melanoma. After googling a bit, I'm worried that this spot might actually be cancerous. I had a lot of sun burns on my back when I was younger, so I'm really worried. My physical exam isn't scheduled until the end of October so I'm freaking out right now. It's about 1 cm in size, maybe? They say multiple colors are a sign of cancer, and it appears that there are different shades here. It looks rough, though. Attached is a picture. Should I be worried?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Melanoma?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I seriously doubt it is cancerous, and in the unlikely event that it is you'll be getting it checked out in October. If it's been there for years with no issue, a couple of months isn't going to make it suddenly be a huge deal. Just relax and wait until you see the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Forrester

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:36 PM »
Appreciate the reply. I wasn't all that worried until I examined it and saw that it was darker in the middle, which seemed like a warning sign for cancer when I googled (it seems like different colors are a bad sign when it comes to moles?)
Bookmark and Share

Offline iyjnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:30:11 PM »
I have a mole that is two different colors and darker in the middle and it's completely normal. Yes, being multiple colors CAN indicate cancer but that's not true for every single mole. They come in all different shapes and colors and even the ugliest ones can end up being benign.

If yours has been there for years then I don't think it's cancerous. It's still good to get it checked out but I think you will be fine!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: