Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Autism OCD?  (Read 115 times)

Offline BetseyJane

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Autism OCD?
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:32:56 PM »
Hi all,
I'm new here.  I've been struggling with a postpartum mood disorder for about 2+ years off and on.  I now have a new baby, who is 3 months old.  I'm now having VERY intrusive thoughts about him having autism (yes, I know this is ridiculous--).  I am borderline obsessed with everything he does/does not do and how it relates to him having (or not having) autism, and have to seek reassurance (via google and/or my mom) to see if my fears are unfounded.  I see a therapist, who knows my fears, and she has given me some good strategies, but when I'm at the height of my anxiety, NOTHING helps me.  I was started on Zoloft last week, 50mg/day and see my therapist weekly.  There are no support groups around here either.  Does this sound like OCD to you guys, and if so, what are some coping strategies that help you moment to moment.  I'm desperate for some relief--he's 3 months old and I feel like I'm losing his babyhood because of these crazy worries.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GoldenFalcon202

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Autism OCD?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 02:52:45 PM »
I haven't heard of those kind of obsessions before, but they probably are linked to OCD. Don't worry about it being ridiculous, OCD is ridiculous  :P

Sometimes what helps me is to try and not Google (I know it's really hard  :(), and tell myself that when I wake up the next morning I'll feel better and more relaxed. The obsessions and fears might still be there, but I wouldn't be at that level of panic I was the previous day and would be able to think about it in a somewhat more rational way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline paratale

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Autism OCD?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:51:59 AM »
Maybe it will help if you think of autism as less scary? It seems autism has been getting a pretty bad rap lately but plenty of people are autistic and live healthy, happy lives. It's a diverse spectrum with many different presentations and variations, some being more severe/disabling than others; but basically even if your child does have autism it doesn't have to be a horrible scary disease. There are many accommodations available for people with autism and while it can't be cured, treatments are available to help alleviate some detrimental symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: