Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hyper aware of toxic chemicals! Please help :(  (Read 189 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline amyleeadam

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 32
  • Country: gb
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hyper aware of toxic chemicals! Please help :(
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:07:46 PM »
My mother sells second hand toys on eBay, and was given one of these fruit head dolls to sell. After researching them, we found that cancerous chemicals are in the doll, and that they've been pulled from the shelves because they are dangerous. Apparently they had been all over the news, but we must have missed it. Luckily my child has never touched the doll.

We threw the doll away, but three days later I am still so worried and scared that something is going to happen because my mum has been handling this doll. The thought of cancer terrifies me and I've even been avoiding contact with my mum because I'm scared of catching whatever the hell was in those dolls. She washed her hands as soon as she found out bit I'm still so scared, and I'm even anxious for my little girl to have contact with her. It's becoming a real issue.

The websites that give info on these things are vague and say basically the same thing each time, and I think this is what is sparking my anxiety, because I can't seem to find ANY detailed info on what to do if you've touched the doll. Obviously my mum has had to eat and touch everyday and household items since three days ago, and I just don't know exactly HOW dangerous this chemical is. If anyone has any reassurance or more info/help then please please offer it, because I am panicking terribly. It would be interesting to see if anyone else has had any experience with these dolls. The chemical is something called phthalates which I have only just learned about. I'm just so worried about toxic chemicals all of a sudden and how they are all around without us even knowing.

The link to the page we found is below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-25391050

Thanks, and I hope someone can help calm me down!
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyleeadam

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 32
  • Country: gb
  • Rec's: 0
  • Gender: Female
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hyper aware of toxic chemicals! Please help :(
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:31:58 PM »
Hey, thanks for your reply. No chewing on it directly of course, but she's obviously touched food and other people and everyday things since touching the doll, and the sites don't give enough information on how much that can affect you, and that is what is worrying me. There has been no direct mouth to toy contact at all, though. Your answer about other fumes and such makes sense though, so thank you for that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6008
  • Rec's: 57
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hyper aware of toxic chemicals! Please help :(
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:57:03 PM »
If your mom had worked in the factory where the dolls were made, maybe you'd have a reason to worry.  Handling it won't cause any harm.  Phthalates are in a lot of things we're exposed to regularly, like cosmetics.  A couple days with a doll is no big deal.
Bookmark and Share