Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Feel like I might have hit someone with a car  (Read 223 times)

Offline sickofsickness

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Feel like I might have hit someone with a car
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:26:27 PM »
Now, I've never been diagnosed with OCD...but when I told my brother this he said it sounded OCD-ish, so I want more opinions. I put it in this forum because like I said I've never been diagnosed with anything. I'm still a bit shaken.

So anyway, I went to visit one of my uncles/aunts because I bought some school supplies for their son. As I was getting out of the car I noticed some guys hanging outside of a truck across the street. I thought I heard a "hey" but ignored it because, well, why wouldn't I ignore it? So the visit only took about five minutes, and I was back out pretty quickly. So I was walking back to my car, sure enough one of the men approaches me with a "hey sweetheart, I wanna talk to you." This made me pretty damn uncomfortable so I got into my car pretty quickly and locked it. The guy was right outside my window, so I backed out pretty quickly and left.

Now honestly, I think I saw the guy in my mirror while I was backing out, so I don't think I could have hit him. But part of me is concerned that in my haste to leave (because I was scared, honestly) that I hit him without noticing it. I would imagine that I would notice hitting someone but I was in such a rush to leave that part of me is still afraid that the police will be at my door any second from now. Thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline gdaversa19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Feel like I might have hit someone with a car
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »
Think like this is their any thing supports the thought..if you hit someone I assume you would have "felt" it in the car, something would have stood out. Anything like that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 07:22:48 PM »
Think like this is their any thing supports the thought..if you hit someone I assume you would have "felt" it in the car, something would have stood out. Anything like that?
I don't remember feeling or hearing anything. But this doesn't really provide much comfort to me comfort since a) my radio was kinda loud and b) I was in a super rush to leave because these guys were bothering me. There are no marks on my car (at least not on the side that would have hit anyone) but I'm still worried to the top that I've already started searching for lawyers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:58:28 PM »
Should I call the non-emergency police number for advice? I don't really want to invite trouble if there isn't any but I'm super nervous.
Bookmark and Share

Online Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »
Well if you hit someone with your car - you would know it !!!

Your car should have a 'big dent where the impact took place' - If Not - then you can just forget it,  :yes:

This was part of my OCD problem for a while, I recall going back to check if I hit someone, or a kid, or a cat - I forgot how many imaginary things I ran over and killed   ::)  - Looking back, it is rather funny - but boy was I driving myself insane when I had OCD  :P

If indeed you have this type of thinking - than maybe OCD might be a factor to keep in mind, it may be mild....but just keep in mind, if you continue having these types of "Intrusive Thinking".

Here is one of the common symptoms of OCD:

Checking related to harming others. Because people with OCD tend to feel overly responsible for causing harm, it is not uncommon for them to repeatedly check to ensure that they have not accidentally caused harm to others. One common example of this type of checking involves fear of running another person over while driving. The person with OCD may hit a bump in the road and then worry about whether or not the bump was the sound of the car running over another person or a small child. Even though logically, the person with OCD knows that if a person had been hit, there would be the sound of screaming and sight of blood, the OCD torments the sufferer of thought of "what if..." So the person with OCD will then stop the car and look under the wheels or turn around to inspect the road to reassure him or herself that no one was harmed.

Anyways, here is a link to a self-test that we have here at this forum:
                                   http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I canít stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if Iím not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

ďYou canít live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:23:32 PM »
Well if you hit someone with your car - you would know it !!!

Your car should have a 'big dent where the impact took place' - If Not - then you can just forget it,  :yes:

This was part of my OCD problem for a while, I recall going back to check if I hit someone, or a kid, or a cat - I forgot how many imaginary things I ran over and killed   ::)  - Looking back, it is rather funny - but boy was I driving myself insane when I had OCD  :P

If indeed you have this type of thinking - than maybe OCD might be a factor to keep in mind, it may be mild....but just keep in mind, if you continue having these types of "Intrusive Thinking".

Here is one of the common symptoms of OCD:

Checking related to harming others. Because people with OCD tend to feel overly responsible for causing harm, it is not uncommon for them to repeatedly check to ensure that they have not accidentally caused harm to others. One common example of this type of checking involves fear of running another person over while driving. The person with OCD may hit a bump in the road and then worry about whether or not the bump was the sound of the car running over another person or a small child. Even though logically, the person with OCD knows that if a person had been hit, there would be the sound of screaming and sight of blood, the OCD torments the sufferer of thought of "what if..." So the person with OCD will then stop the car and look under the wheels or turn around to inspect the road to reassure him or herself that no one was harmed.

Anyways, here is a link to a self-test that we have here at this forum:
                                   http://www.anxietyzone.com/NIMHocd.pdf - OCD + SELF-TEST
                                            I have upsetting thoughts or images enter my mind again and again.
                                            I feel like I canít stop these thoughts or images, even though I want to.
                                            I have a hard time stopping myself from doing things again : counting, checking on things, washing hands.
                                            I am Re-arranging objects, doing things until it feels right, collecting useless objects
                                            I worry a lot about terrible things that could happen if Iím not careful.
                                            I have unwanted urges to hurt someone but know I never would.

Thanks for the post. Heck, if I was speeding off as fast as I think I was, that probably would've made it MORE likely for me to feel any potential impact, not less, now that I think about it.

My car looks fine outside of a scratch that has been there for years. I was even listening to the police scanner to see if there was an APB for me, that's how badly I was worried. But considering this was about 5 hours ago at this point...perhaps it's time for me to accept that I didn't do anything.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Curiouslywondering

• Rec's: 1
  • We dance in the rain..I love that you're crazy too
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
I'm thinking why don't you just ask your cousin if something like that occurred. I mean I honestly DON'T think you hit anyone, but I think for me that's the only way I could be assured. You must understand police and other law officials have limited background on medical things especially dealing with our mental state, so no honey no police. Instead go to a therapist or psychologist, because like your brother I strongly think you're exhibiting some form of OCD, the checking for reassurance and excessive worry are very trademark of the condition. Honey I think your ok in that you did not hit anyone because like obviously stated by another answerer you would've known there'd be telltale signs like a scream, a dent, yelling, etc. Trust you would've known. Anyways just to quell your anxiety about this horrible situation is to go see a licensed professional to help you sort out your worries, Remember OCD is called the doubters disease because it causes you to be in constant doubt..hope this helps
Bookmark and Share
Live life way above the stars because you can't get much closer to God than where you are...

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 03:03:18 PM »
Just common sense makes me think you would have heard a knock on the door by now if something had happened based on the fact they knew where you were. If you had hit him, they would have been knocking on your cousin's door asking for information and your cousin would have called you to tell you what was going on.

Positive thoughts

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: