Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mammogram tomorrow and feeling scared :(  (Read 607 times)

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mammogram tomorrow and feeling scared :(
« on: August 25, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
I've posted before about my left breast pain.  It came on 3 weeks before my period last month.  GP felt nothing, but wrote a script for diagnostic mammogram if pain didn't subside after my period.  Period started 4 days later and pain disappeared.  I was SOO relieved!  It was gone for nearly a week but then came back...again, 3 weeks before my next period is due. 

My HA has flared HORRIBLY over this (also because we're dealing with the impending death of a family member right now).  My hubby convinced me to have the mammo so I would stop wondering "what if."  I made the appointment and then broke down in tears.

I am SOOO convinced something awful is going on that my stomach is sick.  I've convinced myself this is going to be breast cancer (thanks to dr. google).  My mom tried to reassure me that cancer pains don't come and go with a period, but my mind isn't accepting it.  In fact my mind keeps thinking that since there's pain, the cancer must be advanced (aaargh!!!)

My appointment is tomorrow and I'm just so scared.  I try to self-talk myself through a positive outcome, but the big bad negative thoughts take over.  Being a diagnostic exam, the radiologist will give me results right there which scares me on another level.

The pain is just in one breast and in one spot.  If I massage it, it goes away.  I stopped nursing 9 months ago, but can still express some breastmilk which I've heard is normal.  When I do that, the pain disappears (temporarily).  Logic says this isn't cancer, but my mind is SO not in a logical place right now.

PLEASE help :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mammogram tomorrow and feeling scared :(
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »
Calm dwn-in 24 hours you'll have an answer.  Don't worry untill you actually have something to worry about.  Relax and enjoy your little one
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
I honestly think it's going to be nothing... I've dealt with breast pain on and off for years now. Like I said, evening primrose oil can really help, as can regular aerobic exercise.

The good news is that diagnostic mammos are AWESOME.  I have fibrocystic breasts so that's the only kind they give me. You get the answer within minutes, so you don't have to wait.

One thing to keep in mind: you're young and probably have dense breasts, so it's very likely they'll want to do an ultrasound after your mammo. I get them every time I get a mammo because I have dense, cysty breasts and ultrasounds are the best way to spot those. Don't worry about "reading" your technicians' faces - you'll get answers the same day, and I suspect the answer will be a good one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 06:34:15 PM »
Slangevar-did you ever experience pain in just one breast?

I think if it were in both I'd feel a bit more relieved but it's just the left one :(. And wouldn't a painful cyst be felt by my gp when doing an exam?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:05:34 PM »
Yep - my right breast. That was the one that brought me in. Turned out to be a bunch of cysts. I'm like a cyst factory.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 06:04:22 AM »
Imaging is today and I just know it's going to be bad news :(. So scared this morning.

What else could possibly cause one sided breast pain with some swelling in the armpit???

I know an answer is needed and this is the only way to find out but my mind keeps imagining how I'm supposed to deal with chemo while being a stay at home mom. 

Please help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 07:25:38 AM »
Hi mct...

We're all sending you support and positive thoughts this morning.  I know how hard it is to go through testing and then to wait for the results (I'm in the same boat!)

You're gonna be fine!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
This is your first mammo, right?  Those are always the worst, especially when your first is a diagnostic mammo for a symptom. Mine was, too - I had it at age 38 for breast pain and a lump. You're going to be fine - it's going to feel like it takes a hundred-billion hours for them to call your name and finally bring you the results, and you're going to scan every technician's face you see for signs of worry, but it WILL be over soon and it WILL be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 01:30:27 PM »
Thank you slangevar :). Currently sitting in the waiting room shaking like crazy. Lots of fear. Filling in the form indicating my problem just about did me in :(

Trying so hard to keep positive-that this is something benign and I can just move on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 03:46:57 PM »
When I filled my form in, I checked, "high risk patient." The technician said, "Is there breast cancer in your family?" "No." "Do you have the BRCA gene?"  "No." "Have you been diagnosed in the past?" "No." "Then why are you high risk?" "Erm... I have pain and fibrocystic breasts?" "If that makes you high risk, then most other women are, too."   :winking0008:

Hang in there - I've done the waiting room shake. I also usually start to sweat, which is awful, because you're not allowed to wear deodorant. Then I have to casually wipe down my arm pits before the poor technician has to place me on the mammo plates. It would be hilarious were I not worrying so much.

Anyway, you'll be fine. It'll be over very soon.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 03:48:51 PM »
All done and tests were normal :) feeling so good right now!
Doctor said there was no sign of any bc and tissue was healthy and normal.

They used the 3d thermo (?) mammogram machine which apparently gives very detailed results. So between that and the ultrasound, they must not have missed anything.

They did tell me I have heterogenously dense breasts which can hide small tumors-but I guess the ultrasound would pick them up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »
Most young women have dense breasts... it's why some docs are shifting their view on mammos and recommending that people start later. But yes, u/s are great for picking up issues in dense breast tissue. My breast doc even gave me a little tutorial - he showed me photos of tumors vs. cysts and then he wanded mine and showed me how obviously cyst-like they are.

So you're all clear!  Time to celebrate!   :happy0180:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nicollette

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 07:21:32 PM »
Congratulations on going through with the diagnostic mammo and coming out cancer free!    That is fantastic!

I am going for my diagnostic mammo (2nd one in six months) tomorrow and I am also fearful.  I think these mammos are torturous to us women who already have HA, but the alternative is to not go and risk something much worse.    I am going but like you, very scared.

My husband is going to take me as I get so scared I can barely talk let alone drive.  In my heart of hearts I know I am WAY overdoing the fearful thought that it is definitely cancer, and it will probably be the same as last time ("stable") no change, which is good.   

I will come back tomorrow afternoon and hopefully report the same good result as you had!

My message is down a few on this forum.   

Best wishes
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Sending positive thoughts your way Nicollette. I'd read your post a few days ago and no you must feel worried. I can't wait to hear YOUR good news tomorrow :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:47 PM »
Breast pain then finding a lump a year and a half ago are what made me a hypochondriac  :action-smiley-065: i did not have breast cancer then, but know the anxiety! Despite all the attention it gets, breast cancer is rare. Most women will never get it in their lifetime!

Please update with your good news!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: