Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out due to unexplained weight loss  (Read 262 times)

Offline rh749747

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out due to unexplained weight loss
« on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
Been reading this forum for about a week now and finally joined. I first must say all of your are extremely brave and I hope more people begin to take mental health seriously.

My situation, back in April I began trying to lose weight and lost about 13lbs while changing my diet and lifting weights almost daily. The last weight I remember being when I stopped working out was around 197. Life got busy and I stopped working out...I'd miss meals but never too crazy. About 2 weeks ago I steppes on a scale thinking I'd prolly gained some weight. Nope 192.

This caught me off guard and I figured my scale was off and started eating a little more unhealthy. Weighed myself and 191! Suddenly I freaked out and started looking up causes. Cancer and HIV instantly came to mind. I began trying to eat 3 meals a day all the while weighing myself 10-20 times a day. I still have been around 190 and seem to decrease every day even though I eat a lot of bad food.

I started researching symptoms and signs of hiv and had g experienced anything but weight loss and have been worried sick. I can't focus on anything I even gave myself night sweats and loose stool worrying so much. I know people will say get a test and calm your fears but I am terrified and if it's not that it must be something else.

I cannot stop thinking about this weight loss and it is driving me insane I just feel like I'm trapped and it's too late and I have some sort of disease. The worrying is causing me so much stress and personal problems and I tried telling my gf and now she thinks I'm cheating on her(which I'm not).

Please help any advice or similar stories or opinions are appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out due to unexplained weight loss
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 04:49:59 PM »
I always lose weight after I stop working out... it's usually a temporary combo of two things: 1) muscle weighs more than fat and you've started to lose muscle mass, and 2) you increased your metabolism while working out and that hasn't stopped yet. It will.

I've been through this cycle quite a few times. My husband jokes that I'm the only woman he knows who hates being told I look thin.  The important thing to remember is that when an illness mentions "unexplained weight loss," they're not talking about 5 or 10 pounds. Unexplained weight loss is losing 10% or more of your body weight in 6 months or less without changing your diet or exercising.

So, if in another month or two of not exercising or dieting you find yourself inexplicably at 177, you should see a doc (but keep in mind that this happens for all sorts of benign reasons).  But I don't think that will happen. More likely, you'll do what we all do on this forum... you'll eat a bunch of food to see if you can gain weight and find yourself back at your "normal" upper weight, whereupon you'll sigh and realize you messed everything up and need to exercise again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 04:58:54 PM »
Believe it or not that's what I'm hoping for! Lol, thank you for your quick reply I've been tortured with fear the last week. I cannot stop weighing myself and look up symptoms and statistics and go to forums and try and assess my chances of it being something more severe.

Oddly enough the more I find things in my favor the more excuses I come up with why it can't be the case. It doesn't help that I have 2 boys with epilepsy and continually think about the thought of losing them due to an illness and how they can't go through it all alone.

It's crazy how you try and lose weight and work out and struggle to drop a lb but literally checking my weight over 7 days I'm down 3 lbs eat like I feel like and have no worries. I'm almost terrified of scales at this point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:11:31 PM »
My weight can vary by 10 lbs in a single day, dude. Unexplained weight loss is significant weight loss. This is not significant and has an explanation.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
I totally get it. Unless I'm actively exercising (and even sometimes then), when my husband says, "Wow - you look great!" I almost immediately hit the scale and a big dinner. It's ridiculous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 10:33:24 PM »
My husband recently needed stitches.  Their routine screening question if "have you lost more than 20 lbs in the last month without trying?"  Once I heard that, I stopped worrying. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline CrazyD3an

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Overthinking is an ailment. Get rid of it.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »
 i went through an opeation about 2 months ago.... lost almost 10 kgs in one day.. and from that day on i lose 300 gm to every meal i skip. today i am 21.. 5'11'' and gas only 48 kg wait. and i am not even worried... because i have finally accepted this weight things that it can never ever be contolled. 
Bookmark and Share
Even if i can't be helpful to someone, i will never ever harm anyone.

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:36:18 AM »
Oh trust me guys I know how crazy it sounds. Being a chronic worrier I always look at the future and in my mind it wouldn't stop. I feel the nervous energy and then start creating these other symptoms and it just spirals out of control. It's tough because my friends and family think I'm nuts. My poor girlfriend tries to go along with it, but thinks it's ridiculous and then gets frustrated whenever I combat her rationale on why it's wrong. It's a never ending internal battle and I'm usually over matched so it's good to be able to open up to people in here.
Bookmark and Share