Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Work Related  (Read 83 times)

Offline keep_calm

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Work Related
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I am categorizing this correctly, however I have GAD (along with depression, OCD), so I put this here. I have an impending feeling of doom when I have to go to work. I feel like I will never be happy with my job. Currently, I work hard and barely make any money. I know this will be my life, but I'm not happy with any job I've had. I feel the same sense of anxiety regardless of what I am doing. Sometime it's the people I work with, sometimes it's me not wanting to leave my house and I feel that I'm stuck. My psychiatrist said that if I'm not happy, leave my job. Ok...I look for jobs all the time, never get interviews and I'll end up not being happy anyway. And it's not that simple. I can't just quit...I have no money! I have bills and responsibilities to attend to. My future looks so bleak to me because of all of this. When will I be happy again? I want to lay in bed all day, not leave my house or working from home would be great too. If someone could please, please help me and give me advice if appreciate it.  I'm sick of hearing "it won't fall into your lap", or "nothing comes easy". Trust me, I know and I've worked hard all of my life. Not much was handed to me without working for it. Also, my significant other is unemployed right now because of a debilitating disability. Just feeling POOR, LOST & ALONE!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Work Related
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm not sure that I have anything to offer other than to tell  you that I can understand that you feel overwhelmed. I am not a med professional but you go to work with the worries of your significant other and you come home with the burden of your work situation . . . .

Although your pdoc tells you to leave your job, I would probably not agree given the limited information that you have provided. You need some source of income, but you also need, I think, some guidance which, and forgive me here, I don't think your pdoc is providing. It is not as simple as to quit your job and therefore you will be happy. For me, it doesn't work that way . . . I would be more impressed with your pdoc if he or she started to figure out why you are unhappy at work. Is it everything else going on that makes the work environment unpleasant? I guess my question would be if you have considered getting a second opinion and perhaps a therapist who offers more than simplistic quit your job advice.

So, my first suggestion is to start to care for yourself and that may mean a second opinion === only you can decide. My second suggestion would be to find out what types of community supports exist to help you and to help your significant other who has a debilitating disability and make sure you access these resources to the fullest.

I know that this all seems overwhelming because it did to me . .. . I had to take such small steps to get back on track that sometimes it was frustrating and disappointing, but, for me, well, I guess I was just too stubborn to quit . . .

In your day, decide on one thing that you are going to do for you . . . it does not have to cost money . . . perhaps it is 15 minutes by yourself . . . but you have to be strong and not let others or other issues to postpone doing this one thing for yourself . . . work is probably generating an impending feeling of doom because you feel that is the scenario for your life but it does not have to be . . . it might be tough going, but truly if I can do it, anyone can do it . . . one of the worst things that I did in the beginning was simply accept that my life would be the way it was . . . .I did this for a very long time until I asked myself why this had to be and I could not answer that question . . .so, I made a choice . . .I won't lie to  you . . .it was scary and you have the added issue of a significant other with issues whereas I had family illnesses of a different type . . . yep, it took time and I still work daily on managing my anxiety, but bit by bit things did improve . . . I will not be Bill Gates, but I am more or less in a place where I am happy with myself most of the time and i know that you can do it also . . . please, please, please . . .check in with us and never worry about whether you are posting to the "correct" forum . . .we have wonderful moderators who will help get your post to wherever you will get the best and most responses . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline keep_calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:55:00 PM »
Thank you, so much. Your post brought tears to my eyes. I think I need to take care of myself emotionally, more than I am. I don't see my pdoc regularly or my therapist. Partially because of the money and my work does not like me to miss. I just feel trapped and I don't know what I want to DO for my career. I love animals, I've always wanted to be a social worker, but I just don't know. I feel like I'm drifting through adulthood, but I feel like a teenager.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:31:04 AM »
Hi Keep Calm,

I'll add in my two cents.  I used to have GAD but have recently seemed to overcome it!  I suffered through six months of dread and agony.
But Klonopin, ACT therapy and buddhist chanting have got me to where I feel completely like my normal self for the past month and a half.
The difference is night and day.  I feared that I would have to live forever with GAD.   But then I found out I was bipolar II twenty years ago.
And again the right meds and philosophy have made that a non-issue.  So I tend to be optimistic that every problem has its solution.

I give much credit to my buddhist chanting for both wisdom to know what to do, and courage to act on the wisdom.  If you want to know more, the website is:  www.sgi-usa.org.
It's more a philosophy than a religion because we don't worship any gods or buddhas.  We just chant to bring out our highest potential, our happiest self, so that we can help improve the world and make way for world peace.  Those are lofty goals but I've learned that world peace begins in my back yard.  We don't believe in any kind of blaming of others for our problems. 

But I know what it's like to dislike one's job and have anxiety or depression on top of it.  It's no piece of cake.  At times like that, I chant to have a strong enough life force to thrive at such a job.  And if I have trouble with a boss, I chant for their happiness.  In one case, that boss soon after left the company to go back to school.  In another case, my boss actual became nicer to me.

My words to encourage are this.  Your happiness is worth fighting for.

AND Everyone has the potential to live a happy life.  But the responsibility for doing the work to make that happiness possible falls on your shoulders for the most part.  Hope that's useful.
Bookmark and Share

Offline keep_calm

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
Hello worldbeat99,

Thank you for your advice! Everyone who has given me advice is being very helpful. I am on klonopin (as needed), fluoxetine (80), Wellbutrin (150). Maybe that is the wrong combo, I'm not sure though. I don't know what my goal should be so it's hard to work, having no direction. What are good jobs for people with anxiety? I don't know what it's like to NOT worry and have anxiety over everything. It wears me out, whether I'm worried about work, the laundry I have to fold later, what to make for dinner, what to wear, etc. I just want to RELAX, but I want to be successful.
Bookmark and Share