Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How long did it take for full effect of your ssri?  (Read 203 times)

Offline Leecampas

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
How long did it take for full effect of your ssri?
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:44:13 AM »
How long did it take for these med to start working? I've nearly been on this for just over 6 weeks and still get a little anxious! But also in the last 2 weeks I find certain parts of my body jerk a little also when I'm falling asleep too! I get worried which I think makes me more anxious!
I'm on this med as I suffer from health anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: How long did it take for full effect of your ssri?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:03:53 AM »
How long did it take for these med to start working?

Typically 3-12 weeks from when you begin taking a therapeutic dose. Antidepressants do not directly treat anxiety and depression but encourage the growth of new brain cells to replace those killed or prevented from growing by chronically high stress hormone levels in the brain. It is the new cells which produce the therapeutic response and they take time to mature and establish connections.

But also in the last 2 weeks I find certain parts of my body jerk a little also when I'm falling asleep too! I get worried which I think makes me more anxious!

This can be a side-effect of many antidepressants. Raise it the next time you see your doctor but it is often temporary and not a concern.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »
IME of using over 10+different  AD and SSRIs

4-6 Weeks at the correct therapy dose - I start to feel some results

By the 12th week - I can feel some real positive changes.

Some AD I used cover anxiety better for me than others - but all of them improved my anxiety significantly!

Keep us updated - you are making some really good progress  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Frotob

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:45 PM »
once I got to the therapeutic dose of 10mg lexapro ( was on 5mg for 2 weeks ) I noticed a difference in about 2 weeks. . At that point it had been in my system for 4 weeks. . . but only 2 weeks at a therapeutic dose. . . things continued to improve for the next 6-7 weeks before evening out. I've been told if you notice a positive change in the first few weeks after reaching a therapeutic dose then it's a good sign that the particular med will work for ya in the long run. . . however, that doesn't mean you shouldn't give it the full 6-8 weeks if you don't notice an improvement early on.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: