Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out that my fingers are clubbed (pics)  (Read 431 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Freaking out that my fingers are clubbed (pics)
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:06:51 AM »
So scared I might have lung cancer!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out that my fingers are clubbed (pics)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:57:06 AM »
I'm not seeing any photos - how do we open them?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:03:04 AM »
It looks like it says "attachments awaiting approval".....not sure where to go from here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:11:48 AM »
The moderator probably just needs to approve them. If it takes too long, you could always upload the photos to Flickr or something and post a link.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
I think the pics have been approved now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
What symptoms are you experiencing that have you worried about lung cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:39:45 PM »
You have really lovely nails. They are curved down, but a lot of people have naturally curved nails. (I wish mine were more curved.) 

The short answer is, I don't think you have clubbed nails, but there are two good tests.

#1 - Schamroth's sign. http://www.simplemedic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SchamrothSign.jpg 
Put your two index finger nails together and see if there's a little diamond space by your cuticles. If there is, you don't have clubbed nails. (Btw - when I don't the test for Schamroth's sign, I have a pretty small diamond - not everyone's diamond is as big as the picture. Also keep in mind that if the person in the photo without clubbed nails had long nails, they would look curved like yours.)

#2 - The photo test.  Look at photos from the past to see if your nails have changed. Unfortunately you can't rely on your memory - people with HA have notoriously unreliable memories. If you feel uncertain after looking at the past photos, it means your nails are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
^Agh! Now I'm going to be testing my fingernails all day at work. LOL
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 03:59:10 PM »
I've done the testing before - Schamroth's sign - the diamond for my index fingers is so incredibly small that I don't even think a sharp pencil tip or a needle could pass through. I do see a little bit of light coming through, but barely. Same with middle and ring fingers. Thumb and pinky fingers - there is a clear space.

I first noticed this around the beginning of January. It doesn't look like my nails have changed much since then, they've stayed the same. I worry about lung cancer because I've noticed shortness of breath when going up the stairs and when I'm not even anxious- I feel my heart racing more often and I break out into a sweat. I've also had some random chest pain coming from near my right side that will randomly come on and stop in a flash. Also, when I press on the area it hurts. So idk. I'm only 26 and have no family history, so I know the chances are extremely low, but since I noticed my nails again, I've been scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:28:09 PM »
My index finger diamond is that small, too, but it's always been small. Did you look at the link I posted?  Your fingernails look nothing like the clubbed nails example. You don't have clubbed nails.

If you're genuinely having shortness of breath and chest pains, go and see your GP. Your symptoms genuinely don't sound like lung cancer - I've known three people with lung cancer and none of them had any of those symptoms (especially the pain when pressing on your chest - that indicates an external issue like a bruise or strain).  But who knows... maybe you have mild asthma or a viral chest infection. My guess is it's just anxiety, but your doc can tell for sure.

(Btw - this is not an emergency. A normal appointment with your GP will work fine.)
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »
No one here is a doctor nor are qualified to make a judgement or diagnosis. That being said, they look like normal fingers to me  :yes:

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
You have really lovely nails. They are curved down, but a lot of people have naturally curved nails. (I wish mine were more curved.) 

The short answer is, I don't think you have clubbed nails, but there are two good tests.

#1 - Schamroth's sign. http://www.simplemedic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SchamrothSign.jpg 
Put your two index finger nails together and see if there's a little diamond space by your cuticles. If there is, you don't have clubbed nails. (Btw - when I don't the test for Schamroth's sign, I have a pretty small diamond - not everyone's diamond is as big as the picture. Also keep in mind that if the person in the photo without clubbed nails had long nails, they would look curved like yours.)

#2 - The photo test.  Look at photos from the past to see if your nails have changed. Unfortunately you can't rely on your memory - people with HA have notoriously unreliable memories. If you feel uncertain after looking at the past photos, it means your nails are fine.

Please, please don't encourage self testing.  It is NEVER a good idea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
I've been dealing with HA for 37 years and have been through CBT. Normally I would agree with you, but in this case, Schamroth's sign is a quick and easy test that cures most HA fears about finger clubbing without involving a doctor or more expensive professional tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sky3942

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
You do not have club fingers. My father n law had them he had copd and his fingers were shaped like a club or baseball bat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: