Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Freaking out that my fingers are clubbed (pics)  (Read 1150 times)

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Freaking out that my fingers are clubbed (pics)
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
You have really lovely nails. They are curved down, but a lot of people have naturally curved nails. (I wish mine were more curved.) 

The short answer is, I don't think you have clubbed nails, but there are two good tests.

#1 - Schamroth's sign. http://www.simplemedic.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/SchamrothSign.jpg 
Put your two index finger nails together and see if there's a little diamond space by your cuticles. If there is, you don't have clubbed nails. (Btw - when I don't the test for Schamroth's sign, I have a pretty small diamond - not everyone's diamond is as big as the picture. Also keep in mind that if the person in the photo without clubbed nails had long nails, they would look curved like yours.)

#2 - The photo test.  Look at photos from the past to see if your nails have changed. Unfortunately you can't rely on your memory - people with HA have notoriously unreliable memories. If you feel uncertain after looking at the past photos, it means your nails are fine.

Please, please don't encourage self testing.  It is NEVER a good idea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:50:18 AM »
I've been dealing with HA for 37 years and have been through CBT. Normally I would agree with you, but in this case, Schamroth's sign is a quick and easy test that cures most HA fears about finger clubbing without involving a doctor or more expensive professional tests.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sky3942

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »
You do not have club fingers. My father n law had them he had copd and his fingers were shaped like a club or baseball bat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything