Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really Bad day-fowlieiri fear  (Read 206 times)

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really Bad day-fowlieiri fear
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:48:15 PM »
I know this is absolutely ridiculous. I live in a state with no cases of this. BUT, we took our kids to one of those old fashioned water parks where they put inflatables and slides in a sandy bottom lake. I got an extremely large amount of water up my nose after going on the slide, and I'm positive my kids did too, as well as my husband. My sinuses still feel packed from the water, and my boys have been sneezing and stuffy. I am SO WORRIED, like stricken by fear. I am worried about myself, but my older son has started complaining about an upset stomach and feeling hot and not feeling well. Now, he has no idea about my worries about the amoeba so this is not coming from me. I took his temperature and it appears normal (although he does feel hot to the touch). Of course, fever is a sign, as well as nausea. I am freaking out and dying to take him to the ER but don't feel like I can do something like that unless he actually has a fever and appears very sick.

I seem to get swept up in these really rare wildlife-oriented health scares lately. I never even heard of this ameoba until joining this board, but I 've been googling and, unfortunately, its the kind of park we went to today that is named as highest risk because the slides and diving make water shoot up the nose, the water is warm and shallow, etc etc.

I know indulging in this fear is not the best course of action, but I can't help it right now. I am worried that I or one of my boys has gotten this and is going to die. Please tell me my son's feeling hot could be from too much sun and too little fluids today, that his upset tummy could be from nerves( he starts school Tuesday and has been complaining about his belly for the past few days).

I don't know how I'm going to get through the next few weeks. My husband gets really assy whenever I freak out so I have to bottle it up somehow. Good grief.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really Bad day-fowlieiri fear
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »
I know this is absolutely ridiculous. I live in a state with no cases of this.  Please tell me my son's feeling hot could be from too much sun and too little fluids today, that his upset tummy could be from nerves( he starts school Tuesday and has been complaining about his belly for the past few days).

You know it's ridiculous.... Your son is hot because of too much sun and not enough liquids. He's nervous because school is starting.... No one is going to die from something that hasn't happened in your state or most others.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »
that's exactly what i would have written to somebody else! My nose still has the sensation of the water being jammed up it. I just can't shake it, and that makes it so hard to stop focusing on my fear. Gah. I think I'm going to go sleep in my son's room tonight. Obviously, my superpowers will save him  :yes:

This is the absolute worst. At least the incubation period is only 15 days max.

Incidence is 1:10,000,000. Why is that not consoling right now???
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:57:18 PM »
I am still letting myself get swept up in this fear. I got so much water up my nose, my sinuses still feel packed, and I can't find any information specific to the lake at the park where this happened, like water temp or wTer treatment protocol. Dammit! I am going to obsess until I find out positive info OR the 3 weeks passes. I hate when I get myself into disease countdown mode.

I just feel like the statistics won't apply to me ( ie the statistic that getting eaten by a shark while also getting struck by lightening just after getting asked out by Johnny Depp or anyone ridiculously rich and handome like that) simply because I must be like the only person on earth who has goten this much lake water up her nose. If people routinely got thismuch wAter shoved straight up their noses, absolutely many more people would be dying of PAM.

I know how to break myself out of the thought process, i really just don't want to. The more reasonable thing seems to be to wrap myself tightly in this fear. Is it really all that uncommon to get massive amounts of lake water shooting straight up into your sinuses and live without ever getting an amoeba? It must be very common, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »
I know how to break myself out of the thought process, i really just don't want to. The more reasonable thing seems to be to wrap myself tightly in this fear.

Did I read this wrong? If not, I don't know what to say :(

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
I know how to break myself out of the thought process, i really just don't want to. The more reasonable thing seems to be to wrap myself tightly in this fear.

Did I read this wrong? If not, I don't know what to say :(

Positive thoughts

Yes, what do you mean pansty?   I mean why would you avoid what would really help?  Unless you mean running to the ER or dr.....  which, well, that doesn't really work either.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:00:58 PM »
Hoo boy, right after I wrote that post I was able to snap myself out of it. My cure largely rests in not googling and telling myself I'm being ridiculous. It usually works well enough, but for some reason, I wasn't ready to move onto that at the moment I wrote that. By last night, I was much better though!!

Then, this morning, my son woke up with mild fever, sore throat, and stuffy nose. It was his first day of school, and his teacher encouraged me to leave him at school despite the mild cold. But, having him out of sight all day really freaked me out. we really did snort a TON of water at that lake. I started feeling better as the day went on, and then I picked him up and he seemed pretty well, so my fear is gone again.

I appreciate your disdain for my remark, fish (i really do). I use these boards as a way to explore my feelings. Bottom line, I think of HA as a choice I make and, for whatever reason, sometimes choosing HA  "feels" good. i don't know why that is. maybe its my way of being self-indulgent in a life where I don't feel challenged (i'm currently a stay at home mom despite being very career oriented) and where i seem to exist to serve other people ( SAHM thing again). I mean, that is just a guess because I really don't know. It's just me psychoanalyzing myself. And trying to figure it all out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:37:57 PM »
Hoo boy, right after I wrote that post I was able to snap myself out of it. My cure largely rests in not googling and telling myself I'm being ridiculous. It usually works well enough, but for some reason, I wasn't ready to move onto that at the moment I wrote that. By last night, I was much better though!!

Then, this morning, my son woke up with mild fever, sore throat, and stuffy nose. It was his first day of school, and his teacher encouraged me to leave him at school despite the mild cold. But, having him out of sight all day really freaked me out. we really did snort a TON of water at that lake. I started feeling better as the day went on, and then I picked him up and he seemed pretty well, so my fear is gone again.

I appreciate your disdain for my remark, fish (i really do). I use these boards as a way to explore my feelings. Bottom line, I think of HA as a choice I make and, for whatever reason, sometimes choosing HA  "feels" good. i don't know why that is. maybe its my way of being self-indulgent in a life where I don't feel challenged (i'm currently a stay at home mom despite being very career oriented) and where i seem to exist to serve other people ( SAHM thing again). I mean, that is just a guess because I really don't know. It's just me psychoanalyzing myself. And trying to figure it all out.

I'm glad to see this post Pantsy. Please don't think of my post as disdain as much as disbelief. I've been hanging on anxiety forums learning about the disorder (my daughter suffers from it and I have a bit if "scanxiety" and suffered form some depression due to physical illnesses) and most people really want to free themselves of the dragon but just don't know how. I can understand how not being challenged could lead to your thoughts.  Having the "choice" to "allow" HA to control you in some way gives you some control where you feel you may not have any (pardon me if I'm off base).

In many cases, a sympathetic ear and compassion is needed in response when someone is hurting. But just know, now that you've spilled the beans on your thought process, I may cyber slap ya when needed ;)

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:11:05 PM »
Oh, please feel free to keep me honest! I can use that in my life  :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: