Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Clonazepam reduction necessary?  (Read 174 times)

Offline jebbarebba

• Jeff
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Clonazepam reduction necessary?
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »
This is my first non-intro post on the forums so please be kind.

I have been on anti-anxiety meds for nearly 25 years.  I started with Xanax and then moved to Klonopin.  I take the generic, Clonazepam, twice daily ***** 0.5mg.  My issues is that my psychiatrist at Kaiser Permanente wants me to be completely off of this med.  I have been on benzodiazepines for a LONG time and depend on them.  A year ago I was taking 2-3 mg/day and it was working well.  I have brought it down considerably but I find anything lower than the 1mg I'm on and I start experiencing more severe symtoms...  The usual:  Racing thoughts, irritability, shakiness, inability to concentrate, poor memory...  I don't want this to affect my work and it's already affecting my family.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for benzos or why coming off of these completely at this point seems to be so critical to Kaiser?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Bookmark and Share
My father is a psychiatrist and I need one

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Clonazepam reduction necessary?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 03:07:06 AM »
Welcome to the fourm  :action-smiley-065:

So you have been Klonopin for years at 1 mg per day (which is a low dose) and your psychiatrist at Kaiser has a problem with this?  ::)

I myself have been on Valium, Klonopin, Xanax, Lorazepam - for over 20+ years.  Off and on, depending on my situation, and what new AD medications I was using.  After 20 years, I had no significant problems with dependence or tolerance.  I have been using Diazepam 10mg for the last 10+ years, with excellent results. 

I have used Klonopin for at least a couple of years and consider this the best BZD for its potency, easy discontinuation, long-half life, and no tolerance issues, Valium (Diazepam) is also excellent, not as potent as Klonopin, but I really like it because of it is also a good muscle relaxer and also good for anxiety and panic attacks.

I have not personally found anything as safe, and effective as BZD for anxiety and panic attacks - period.  :winking0008:

I have found that there has been increased pressures in the last 5 years for doctors in the U.S. to not prescribe BZDs.  (My thought, after  speaking with several doctors, is that Drs. are having litigation fears of being sued - due to small group of people who do not responsibly use these medications...)

We here at the forum have been discussing this very issue...  Long term studies, possible long term side effects, tolerance, dependence, withdrawals issues and each person has the information to make their own determination.

My strong conviction is to use the medication that helps you!  Not what belief or opinion a dr. may have.

BZD have been around now for over 50 years, and when used properly, they are the among the safest and most effective medications.

Below is only one link of a great posting - discussing long term BZD users and their experiences:

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,91422.msg510051.html#msg510051

One of the best features of this forum is the honest and abundant amount of information on medications and member's first hand experience of using them.  Most positive, some negative, some neutral... but there is a great wealth of information to help us make informed decisions. :grinning-smiley-003:

Take care, and again, Welcome  :action-smiley-065:

Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
Jebb,

I agree with Never Quit.  There is a bias against docs prescribing benzos like klonopin.  They fear people will get addicted,etc.
I tried Buspar for my GAD anxiety.  Didn't work.  Did various therapies which were helpful but didn't handle my anxiety.

For six months I suffered from GAD, six months of irrational and relentless dread.  Then I got klonopin. I've been totally myself again
for the past month and a half.  I have no intention of stopping klonopin.  Unless they invent a new drug that's better.

I would change doctors fast!!!  You have to fight for your happiness and be your own best advocate.  Don't let them intimidate you.
I'm lucky that I've worked with GPs, therapists and shrinks who are truly open to my input and concerns.  They are out there.
But there are also alarmists who think klonopin is only for short term use.  Many people using it for years and are leading
fuller productive lives.  I know there are risks with klonopin but I'm willing to take them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 22
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:11:16 PM »
Jebb,

What was your Dr. reasoning for wanting to be get off this medication?

:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline vbx

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:01:40 PM »
Wow that is scary!  I use to be hooked on Xanax for 3 years.  There was a point in time where I could not live without it.  If there were only 2 pill left, I would start to panic.  Especially because I was agoraphobic and hated driving to renew my meds.

Not sure why they want you off the meds.  Everyone who I spoke to wanted me on meds.  They even told me that I would not get better unless I took the prescribed meds.

Of course, I hated my life and wanted off meds. CBT was the gift that freed me from taking and being dependent on meds.  However, since you been on these meds for so long, I'm not sure what I would do.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: