Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Felt like bug in hair or crawling on scalp  (Read 295 times)

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Felt like bug in hair or crawling on scalp
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:56:12 PM »
I came home from church and took the dogs out back and it felt like a bug had fallen from one of the trees onto my head and was crawling in my hair.

I came inside and combed with a fine tooth comb and tried looking in the mirror.  I didn't see anything but it happened a few more times. Then........ I googled.  WRONG THING TO DO.

The first thing I pulled up said could be stroke or brain tumor.

I ate lunch, took an anxiety pill and slept for 2 hours.  It hasn't happened again since I napped but now I'm in sensory overload waiting for it to happen. 

It was one side, one area and my neck is stiff on that side. I also got a new night guard and wore it 2 nights now.

Please tell me you've felt this before!

Bookmark and Share

Online potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Felt like bug in hair or crawling on scalp
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:00:07 PM »
Oh no!  You consulted Dr. Google instead of coming here first?   :angry-smiley-034:

Yes!  I've had this happen to me numerous times.  It's very annoying but completely harmless.  I have no idea what causes it.  I am also dealing with a stiff neck now...both sides...due to significant stress that always comes out in my neck and shoulders.  Despite my current thyroid ca obsession, I know that this is all from anxiety.

Maybe taking the dogs for a walk would help??  Hang in there and big ((((hugs)))) to you!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 06:20:20 PM »
I am NOT a fan of the bug feeling in the head.  I've NEVER heard it being a stroke or tumor???????  complete news to me.  Luckily I don't goggle such things.  However when I've had this sensation, I think lice.   B-;  NOW lice makes me whack a do.  I hate dealing with that fo sho
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Online Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »
Not sure of anyone's age or gender, but one of the documented symptoms of perimenopause is the feeling of bugs crawling on skin. I had the feeling of something crawling in my hair not to long ago, and luckily for me, I'd read the symptom and new not to panic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:36:51 AM »
Two things......... first,  I had been walking under trees when I felt the 'bug' and rushed inside and used my husbands fine toothed comb and went up and down up and down looking for the bug.  Probably over stimulated my scalp.  Only felt it one other time after that post.

However, I also noticed my left shoulder and neck were VERY tense.  I took an anxiety pill and a nap. 

Thanks for your help.  I'm almost 64 and 10 years past menopause and knew about the creepy sensations. This really felt like something had moved my hair.  I did a regular search and saw lots of people complaining about the sensation but only the one mention of stroke and brain tumor and that was some doctor on Healthtap.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:14:49 AM »
I woke super tense today.  Had a flu shot yesterday and that arm is very sore and the muscles in that shoulder and up my neck are quite tense and sore.  Here comes the 'bug' under my scalp sensation. Of course the more I think about it, the more I feel it. 

I Googled again, found lots of bad stuff and then also found anxiety, headache, pinched nerve, TMJ.

I came here and looked at all the people who've complained about the same thing and you know what..?  Not one of them is dead. They're all still posting but about other things.  YEARS later, they're still here and no mention of the symptom.

I am going to take my anxiety med and try and relax for a while. 

**  My MRI (abdomen) and CT (chest) are toward the end of Oct. to check to make sure I'm still cancer FREE.  I have a repeat pap smear then, too.  I'm almost 64 and had my first ASCUS  but am HPV neg. and have never had sex with anyone but my husband of 44 years and all paps have been normal so doc thinks it's old lady crotch. Still my anxiety will be through the roof until I get all those tests back.
Bookmark and Share

Online Smitten

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:33 PM »
Good luck! I know how stressful tests can be, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I know I mentioned menopause in an earlier post and you said you'd been through it - my mom, 64, still has occasional symptoms even though years post menopause. It's not uncommon. However, like you said, that's also a symptoms of anxiety. I felt things crawling in my hair the other day, too! It seems to come around that time of the month for me as I'm in peri. However, I also work with children and worry about lice a lot! SO that being said, I think sometimes I just think too much about it! lol!! Take care!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:47:39 AM »
Thanks!  I do still have symptoms of menopause on and off.   My mother is 82 and has night sweats they attribute to low estrogen!

The dermatologist has told me I have seborrhea dermatitis on both sides of my head right where it hits the pillow.   I looked it up and it said that can cause tingling and crawling type sensations but it also said that if you scratch or comb in the area, you can irritate the nerves there and that makes the sensation worse. Then you scratch, then it's worse, you scratch some more......

Thanks for answering. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: